What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

C-99 under 220w of PL-L CFL lamps

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Hey All, :D

EDIT: Wanted to make sure this warning was up front.... Nutrients do NOT drip through lava-rock well at all! Only use Lavarock in Ebb&Flow setups where they're soaked by flooding. The nutes essentially puddled and then ran down the sides of the bucket, leaving huge areas, empty of roots, in the middle of the buckets. NO real root mass to speak of. Second run using hydroton is almost as heavy as the first harvest with 20+ days to go.
Edit:(10/10/09) Just found out a month or so ago that using ANY of my tap water is baaaaaad. Slime factor is extremely high. All hydroton and lava rock for the first 2 runs in this cab were rinsed thoroughly with my tap water. :( Current run in CLEAN hydroton under 1K HPS is showing MASSIVE improvement over same cuts in tapwater washed hydroton. I'm happy and sad about this. Happy to see that I've been right all along and the 'results' have been because of unknown forces and sad because I'll be ending up with barely enough meds to last me till next harvest again. GAH! :D (The clean hydroton C-99 is REALLY juicy and even she had a 'bit' of tap water run through her hydroton. Just not nearly as much as the others.)
So, the pathetic looking buds at the end of this grow log are due to crappy root growth in bad medium. The lights still kick ass as they were able to still produce what they did, despite the setbacks. Nice. :D

Finished the first run of my new 220w PL-L cab and it seems a lot of you want to look at how it was set up so here it is. I use only the Lucas method, FloraNova Bloom and RO water to grow with and maintained that throughout this entire grow.
I do not use additives and I do not have deficiencies, as you'll see.

First off, if you're not aware yet, the PL-L lamps are 55w CFL lamps that run from a remote ballast. I use Fulham workhorse ballasts as they're efficient, cool running and totally silent. (They also run just about any Fluoro type lamp out there) More info on those in the links of my sig. :D
Here's a shot of a Fulham 8 and 2 of the 4 lamps I used.
picture.php

(3 were 3000K and one was 6500K. No growth differences were detectable but there were too many variables this grow anyway.)

The system is total Mickey Mouse in it's construction (Good thing I have a P.H.D. in that.) so the yield suffered quite a bit. The good news is that the lamps proved they're salt and I'm even more enthusiastic about pimping them everywhere. :D

First off the cab is quite large for what little lighting I have and I didn't have much in the way of materials to up the reflectivity this first run. Here's a shot loaded with 6 Cinderella-99 clones. This mum came from femmed seed of a C-99 cut that was floating around a few years ago. It was the only survivor and so I've kept her.
picture.php

You can see the two Home-DeCannabis buckets that I cut down a bit. They're full of lava-rock, as you can see, with drain holes in the bottom.
picture.php

The buckets are zip-tied to a wooden frame that sits on top of an Ice-Chest for a reservoir.
picture.php

The pump in the res runs the nutes up the tube and through the homemade PVC manifold I made, which splits the flow to both buckets, and then through the same blue tubing made into a loop in each bucket and crimped off on the end. I then punched holes in the tubing on the bottom side every half inch for water to drip through.
This created a ring/drip style system. (Which totally sucked through lava-rock.... but we'll get to that)
Here's the manifold....
picture.php

So, between the freshly planted clones picture and day 14 of 12/12 I have no pics. The time sucked and there was a move involved. Short story is that the plants had to be whacked back, leaving a lot more bud-sites than I had anticipated or desired. Still, here they are at day 14 of 12/12
picture.php

Last edited:

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Here we are at day 19 of 12/12.
This shot shows the setup of the lights better. Total Mickey Mouse, like I said, but it works wonders.

The lights are mounted below the adjustable shelf. The box on top of the shelf is filled with 2 furnace filters and kitty litter crystals (didn't have carbon). There are actually slots cut through the shelf, behind each lamp, that's sucking the air from the lamps up through the filter.
That's a $20 bathroom fart fan cooling 220w!
picture.php

Here they are at day 19 after I've stripped the leaves for better light penetration.
picture.php

(The little clone there is from my Durban Poison Dad and, yeah, it's definitely deficient in that perlite hydro cup. LOL)

Here we are at day 23 of 12/12. Everything is filling back in quickly!
picture.php

Here's a frosty bud shot at day 32 of 12/12
picture.php

I made the mistake of trimming the leaves back again at day 32, this strain/pheno should have been done at day 15 and day 25 or something.
picture.php

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
So here we are at day 42 of 12/12 and things are filled back in and looking great.
picture.php

I was totally not happy with the size of the buds at this point but I attribute this to a couple of things.

1# dropped the res about 6 inches a few days before this shot, right at peak bud swelling. All growth stopped as I believe there were millions of tiny slices in the roots from the lava-rock. :(

2# The total volume of root mass from all 6 plants on this run fit into a 20oz plastic cup. So keep that in mind while you're viewing the rest of this run. :D

Here's day 54 with the lights off. (The Frosty Shot!)
The tinfoil there is a flap I pull down so I can view the girls up close without those bright freaking lights in my eyes.
picture.php

I harvested one bucket (what was left of it) about day 60. The reason for this is that I harvested too much of one plant a bit at a time (starting 2-3 weeks before chop day) and by day 60 the root mass was rotting in the bucket. What a boner move, eh?
Here's what it looked like dry. :D
picture.php

An inch deep pile of frosty trim. (Dog goes nutz over it more than bones)
picture.php

And a second harvest around day 65 shown here hanging.
picture.php

As you can see, throughout the entire cycle there were no deficiencies whatsoever. I ran the pH down around 5.5 until day 20 where I upped it to 6.0-6.1 and kept it there until the budsites 'set'. After that I dropped it back down.
(This next run I'll be trying the 'Set the pH at 5.2 with FNB Lucas and let it drift up.)
All in all, what I harvested before and on chop days will save me approximately $600-$800 in meds I won't have to buy. :D

I have the second run for the cab going now in veg (with a few adjustments) and am looking forward to posting my next grow journal. :D

Thanks for watching!

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Well as one of the curious ones, allow me to say great grow and thanks for posting! Looks to be some verrry nice smoke.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Thank you :D

Wanted to add a couple things about this setup.

I seriously do not recommend the bucket contraption to be placed directly on top of the res. It made checking the level and doing anything with the res a pain. I had planned on switching to an E&F tray for the second run but I didn't have the funding. It's a PITA but it's doable and definitely worth the results.

You'll see in a few of the photos that the power bar has tinfoil over the power switch on it. I didn't put that on until something like day 30?? It really stunted the growth of the plant that was in that corner. I've since moved the power bar up above the light shelf. :D

I'm looking forward to installing a reflector for the lamps to see if we can't get that frost to extend further than 7" below the canopy. :D

Asil

Hydro Just see you changed your sig. Thought I would pop by and take a look. Is that the pineapple pheno? They sure looked good and frosty. Did you find that trim all the leaves back helped? Was is becuase of the light penatration of the Pl lights? Enjoy that c-99 looked tasty.When you set you ph to 5.5 how far did you let it go before you brought it back down?

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Hydro Just see you changed your sig. Thought I would pop by and take a look. Is that the pineapple pheno?
I wish. It's nice but it's not the Cindy I've been chasing, sorry.

They sure looked good and frosty. Did you find that trim all the leaves back helped? Was is becuase of the light penatration of the Pl lights?
I started trimming leaves back when I was using 150w HPS lamps and it helped quite a bit. I never trimmed a second time in the harvest before and probably won't again. You're correct that it's for light penetration and it definitely helped the lower budsites to get more light before the canopy closed in.
Next run I'll be trimming everything but the top 3 nodes as soon as the bud sites are finished setting. Still kicking myself for leaving what I did. LOL

The frost goes 7" deep below the level of the canopy....definitely a very frosty pheno of C-99.
Enjoy that c-99 looked tasty.
Just now hitting the 3-week cure mark and it's significantly more potent. Tasted like a berry/fruit pie this morning.

When you set you ph to 5.5 how far did you let it go before you brought it back down?
I don't adjust pH after mixing and pHin the res with the general Lucas method! I'll say it again because I've seen this question a few times.

I don't re-adjust pH with the general Lucas method! All you ever do is add RO until it's time to change the res again.

Mix it, pH it and then keep it topped off with RO. If your pH rises above 6.2 then you need to increase the amount of nutes you're mixing in. If it's bottoming out like a stone to 4.0 or less you have root rot or some other issue. If it's slowly dropping day by day and goes below 5.2 then you're mixing too much nutes.

This next run I'll be mixing the nutes and pH it to 5.2 and let it rise from there. It shouldn't ever swing out of acceptable range unless there's something wrong with your setup or water. If you don't use RO, you're guessing.

Start with the recommended nute levels for the Lucas method and maintain the res correctly and you'll have super healthy plants and you won't have to adjust pH all the time. It doesn't get any simpler.

Note: I check pH daily with drops to make sure everything is ok(It's the only equipment I've ever used). That's it. As soon as I have a tds pen I'll be doing add-backs (and the fun begins). Never used one before so I'm looking forward to it. :D

F

fully baked

Beautiful lady. Mind if I asked where the cindy came from?

I have a cross between bros grimm c99 and a mikado that is wonderful also... C99 is just stellar it would seem...

Cheers,
FB

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Beautiful lady. Mind if I asked where the cindy came from?
It was gifted to me by a very generous and kind individual. Supposedly femmed seeds from a cut that was floating around the dispensaries in So-Cal a few years ago. :listen2: Other than that I don't know. :D

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
gpw? havnt seen a gpw from pl-ls yet..

amazing grow btw.

Haven't got a clue, sorry. Haven't used scales in quite a few years now.

I can tell you that I started trimming bud off about 3 weeks before chop. That's about $300 I saved there. What was left for chop looks like it will save me about $600, maybe a bit more.

I'm a 24/7 medical user and I've been on half rations for a while. My usage went up slightly over retail meds but only slightly as this C-99 is a bit more potent than the usual. :D

With a proper scrog and a run or two with the strain first I can easily see myself reaching the same GPW I would with a 220w HPS. (Yes, I know they don't make 220w, I just saying it'd be a bit less than a 250w HPS) ;)

Edit: And thanks! :D I was extremely impressed with the results from the lamps myself. ;)

lordbudly

Veteran
haha man ill wait to see if you reach it, im gonna run 2-3 plls in my cab. its just under 2 sq feet in floor space, sog, but i figure i could run 3 and go for, 75 watts p/sq foot and 7500 lumens a sq foot, even if it is a diminished return, as long as its more then 2, i would still yield more on limited space, i see u run ro on hydro with floranova, i was thinkin about doing tap with floranova and ph'd down in coco, since u can use floranova with ro and not have cal mag problems, do u think tapwater and floranova i wont have cal mag probs with coco?

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
do u think tapwater and floranova i wont have cal mag probs with coco?
I have no idea what is in the tap water you have. Sorry.

I highly recommend spending the effort to get RO water. Bottled, Vending machine, Water Store, Home RO unit.... I don't care. It's definitely worth it to spend that energy on finding and using RO water then spending that energy trying to figure out how to adjust your nutes to your tap-water.

Work smart.... not hard :D

lordbudly

Veteran
my tapwater has the calcium and magnesium to support soil but i hear coco is a super calmag hog

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
Frosty looking nugs, Hydro-Soil. Very nice.

Little aside, I've heard various tap waters can be treated with calcium, simple 500mg pills you'd find at the drug store, and leaving it out over night to evaporate out any chlorine in it. The calcium is supposed to treat the fluoride especially, if any, in the water. Using tap water is still a very iffy thing, based on what yours actually is but it's something worth considering or looking into at least. You know anything, Hydro-Soil, about this supposed treatment of the tap water?

Again, great looking C-99's. Must've enjoyed that smoke a lot.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Color me impressed.

Can you elaborate on "That's a $20 bathroom fart fan cooling 220w!" What kind of sound level, type of scrubber?

On another note, some of your shots are a bit dark. While it won't win any photo contests, you may want to run them through LEVELS, or HISTOGRAM (names vary by software) Usually, the gray triangle is in the middle with a value of 1. Moved to the dark side, it lightens shadow areas for easier reading.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Color me impressed.

Can you elaborate on "That's a $20 bathroom fart fan cooling 220w!" What kind of sound level, type of scrubber?
When you look at the shelf the lights are attached to, you see the cardboard box on top of it with the duck tape. The smaller square on top of that is the fan. The cardboard box is the odor scrubber and is just a sandwich of 2 furnace filters and kitty litter crystals. I cut a square hole in the top and siliconed the little square fan on top of the box.

It's a 50cfm bathroom ceiling fan from the hardware store. It keeps my lamps cool and enough air-flow for the plants I have. The point I was making is that it takes very, very little to cool these lights.

As for stealth? How loud is YOUR bathroom fan? LOL
I'm upgrading to a panasonic whisperline 80cfm as soon as possible. Will also be upgrading to additional lighting as well, if I can. I also need to upgrade it to an E&F since my mickey mouse drip system blows all stealth ideas away when it kicks on. LOL

All in all I'm very happy with the lights. The cab blows chunks but is awesome for what resources I had to build it. The smoke was really good too. I have a run going with hydroton instead of lava-rock and the difference at day 20 is visible. :laughing: THIS run will last me till the next harvest. (Cross-fingers)

Anyway, I won't be on the boards much. Have a lot of stuff going on but I'll see what I can do about posting a few pics of this second run. Have to admit I haven't taken a single one this time around. Heh Oh well.

Stay safe all!