What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My Setup's Tuned In.. (aka my grow)

Okay, it's taken me a while, and quite a few threads of questions, but I finally have My Setup Tuned In...

Strains: Bagseed - Started with many seeds, ended up with 1 plant. Many didnt germ, some never popped out of the soil, and in the end I had one male and one female, and cut him.
Reeferman's Cherry Berry - These I had left over from my last grow, and they were my fav of all I grew. They are Cherry Bomb II x Blueberry Indica irrc and taste just like you'd imagine! I tried to germ 3, all 3 popped from 5 years old seeds, but one died as a sprout (not sure why, just wilted up and died).

Lights: Anywhere from 4x 23w Daylight CFL's upto 400w HPS
Ventilation: 100CFM bathroom fan to 440CFM vortex. Passive intakes. Small fan on low for circulation.

Where to begin. Let's me say first off I currently live in a horribly old building, hence my appartment is lop-sided 4" drop from high side to low (and it's a very skinny apt), so it made this even harder :(

I decided to get back into growing cause we were short on money and smoke ALOT lol and the two were clashing. I grew for about 18mos a few years back, and eventually gave up cause of landlord issues (not with security, but building problems) and still had most of my old supplies for my old closet grow. Figuring I was in a new place now, and had a closet free, we could save quite a few dollars by starting our own small grow again!

I decided to go with another closet grow figuring I had done it before, it'd be easy to toss one together for ~$50CAD + what I still had. I tossed a bunch of random bagseed I had kept over the years in some wet paper towels, tossed them on a plate on a heating pad in my dresser, and let them germinate. The closet had a pair of 2x 23w Daylight CFL's that hung down and the walls where already white(ish) and when the seeds popped, I put them in soil and tossed them on a milk crate under the lights. I run 24/0 from seed till flower so I didnt really need to do anything for a while but I checked on them every day and wet the soil a little when needed. Once they were up I tossed the fan on low blowing across them, and adjusted the lights as needed..

Over the next couple days I started planning the stuff I would need for the closet and dug out my old supplies, and as I was I realized... I have absolutely NO ventilation options available to me in the closet! :( Time to rethink from scratch, and the girls are already on the grow!

After considering from Rubbermaids, to small Cabinet's, to full size wardrobes.. we go with a 48w x20d x72h double door wardrobe figuring I can reuse my 400w HPS. I read through just about every DIY thread I can find on making it work, but I am, by default, a complete fail at tools, I am a pure electronics man! but hey, I'll give it a go. (note: at this time the thought of a grow tent had just completely slipped my mind.. for the entire time of this venture till just recently DOH!) This is where things went horribly wrong!

I decided on a 400w HPS main room with the top shelf as completely the eletrical and ventilation. I had a pretty good idea of what I needed from surfing IC's DIY's and the websites of most of my local retailers.. Money in hand, I hit the stores... I overspent on the wardrobe which was the only one even close to the size we were looking for, I overspent on the 100CFM bathroom fan which isnt enough for the 400w HPS but it was the biggest available, I overspent on Reflectix at the only place that had it and white paint wasn't an option cause not a single store in this WHOLE DAMN CITY!! (sorry a bit bitter) had flat white spray paint. So I'm in the whole more than I thought, but I'm at home and have everything I think I need. The holesaw bit was a nightmare, the whole wardrobe was misaligned, and the backing on the wardrobe might as well be made of paper.

I got it all put together, only to find out the temps ran in the ~118 range.. which would kill the girls :( Back to the daylight CFL's, but in the wardrobe this time.. As I was out of money at this point, I kept the girls in there, tended to them daily and waited for 2 weeks till next payday. This time I tackled the light leaks.. and there were plenty. Remember I mentioned how off my floor's were? that made this part a straight up NIGHTMARE! Like that wasn't bad enough, the wardrobe was horribly misaligned straight off the cutting board, as holes missed there marks. I got the wrong size of weatherstripping the first time, so had to return it, but after several hours, I got it all sealed up nicely.

Wardrobe in Bedroom
image105.jpg

By this time, they were ready to be transplanted to bigger pots, so I picked up some new soil, and put them in 10" pots. I also made I pretty kickass $1 DIY reflector for my 4x CFL's from an aluminum roasting pan. With the current setup, the room is only 4 degree's above room temp, and the girls are getting big. They are now 3 weeks veg, and though they have had quite a bit of struggle, they are looking good.

Wide Layout Shot
image108.jpg

Passive Intakes (the half done one, I hit a support screw)
image128.jpg

image129.jpg

My AWESOME $1CAD Hood (that's dirt cheap yo! lol) and girls
image113.jpg

I decided to put my electrical and ventilation IN the main room for now so I have less room to deal with till I get my new fan/filter.
image126.jpg

And Now, The girls.. I had a slew of name I picked out and written down, but I havent chosen any official ones for them yet.

"The Tall One" They've all started to smell and you can definately tell them apart, but this girl has a very mild scent.. not very strong at all, yet she is nearly 2x the size of the next closest. She's bagseed and I suspect she's heavy sativa.
image115e.jpg

"The Short One" 1st of the Cherry Berry, these girls seem to be alot shorter then the bagseed, but have fatter leafs, beautiful smell. Not much to say other than that lol
image121.jpg

"The Conjoined Twins" The second Cherry Berry, this one kinda went freak about 2 weeks in veg. One of her roots surfaced, and sprouted a second shoot and leaves.. They are attached under the soil, but I decided to let them grow out and see what happens.
image120h.jpg

Last shot is just a better angle from inside the cab of the girls
image123i.jpg

I started looking for a new light/fan solution and the best idea we came up with would be to get a Can Filter /w fan, and a new Air cooled 400w HPS as mine was bought almost 7 years ago super cheap unbranded from ebay. We decided to go with the Can 50 /w 440CFM fan, and a 400w HPS /w Kool Tube 6" air cooled cylinder. I order the filter/fan on the 25th, and when it gets here, I'll install my old HPS with it(it doesnt have a reflector at all) assuming it holds out. The new lamp/kool tube/reflector I order on June 8th. and will replace when it gets here.

I'll be keeping this updated weekly, at minimum, and will answer any questions anyone has. Feel free to critique and/or comment, I look forward to all!

Last edited:

Vegan

nice work on the cab ..
nice work on the plants everything looks oke doke

btw could you not post two pics next to each other..it makes my screen really wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddddddddddddddddddddeeeeeeeeeeeeee
like this
img
img
img

not
img img
thnks Vegan

Update!

Update!

Time for an update ;)

Over the past few days I've been giving them some fert's, and they have really started to take off! I'm just using what I could get locally, which is Plant Prod All Purpose 20-20-20 (1tsp/2L of water), but they seem to be loving it and have gotten a lot bigger. I've had to start LST on Stacy (formerly "The Tall One"), and it seems to be taking. I also took a couple clones offa her and started my Jiffy Tray (I know.. I'm l33t like that!)

The Cherry Berry(both of em) had gotten REALLY thick in the tops, so I had to cut one or two fan leaves off each so light could reach the rest of the plant.. I'm HOPING this will help the lower shoots take off, giving me somewhere to take clones from each of them as well. The conjoined twins have been named Lulubelle(big one), and MiMi(the freak twin)... after characters from the anime "D.Gray Man". MiMi seems to be shooting up fast trying to catch up with Lulu, which would be nice, but I doubt she'll make it before I put them into flower. Lucibelle (formerly "The Short One") doesnt have much news.. she's grown a bit, but not as much as I'd hoped compared to the others.

I have DEFINATELY started to notice the smell LOL! but so far, it doesnt make it far outta our bedroom. Even if it does start to sneak out my appt door, the people directly across the hall have a rather stinky cat, and I'm pretty sure the smell of cat piss will more than cover my smells, though I order my Can filter and fan Monday. I dont remember being able to smell them so much when still in veg last time, but they seem to be more robust looking plants this go, so that's prolly helping. When the fan & filter arrive, 12/12 will be soon to follow.

Onto the pics!

Stacy (aka The Tall One) after LST and Clones taken
image158m.jpg

Lulubelle after trimming
image141h.jpg

and MiMi taking off after her..
image155f.jpg

and my l33t Jiffy clone-dome with Stacy's offspring
image149t.jpg

Edit: Forgot Lucibelle's pic

Lucibelle, not much to report cept a few more inches.
image154i.jpg

Last edited:

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Awesome!

Those are some really healthy looking plants. Congrats on the setup. :D
I have a cab that's just about that same size :D

Okay.. BIG Update lol!

So I decided NOT to go with the 440CFM @ Can 50..
I ALSO decided NOT to go with the new 400watt HPS...

Instead I decided to take the money and go DIY! I now have an 8" x 14" DIY Scrubber, a Stanley Blower Single Side Pull fan mod, and am just waiting for a Pyrex Bake-A-Round to come in the mail from Ebay and I'll have my very own DIY Bake-A-Round Cool tube with my old 400w HPS.

I ran about 2 or 3 pouches short of Carbon for the scrubber(bought 1600grams still wasnt enough), so I'll be picking that up tomorrow. Once I get that, the scrubber and stanley fan will be going in woot!

Oh and Pics to come as soon as I get all 3 up and running together :) I put the stanley in to see how it does temp wise.. gonna monitor it over the next couple days to see if it over heats or if I need to make any changes to the layout...

BTW, forgot to mention, I am gonna air pulling into the light, through the cooltube, up into the utility room via 4" flex tubing, into the stanley, blowing out exhaust through 6" flex, out the back of the cabinet, and into the Scrubber outside.. currently it'll just be sitting ontop of the cabinet, but I plan on screwing a couple of those "over the door hangers" off the top of the cabinet, hanging down the back and cradling the scrubber, hidden outta sight... unless someone has a better idea that is.

Another Update!

Another Update!

~Day 43 Veg~

Okay, so the Bake-A-Round finally came in and I got everything up and running together with my secksi new DIY Cooltube/Stanley Fan/Carbon Scrubber...

Inside of my Cabinet.. You can see my DIY Cooltube which I just got up and running yesterday. To the left is Lucibelle & Lulubelle/Mimi, to the right is Stacy (she's getting huge). In the center on the milk crate is another bagseed sprout, Stacy's Clones x4 (the tall ones) and lulu/luci's clones (2&2) who just showed roots and xplanted today.
0906061150001.jpg

Here you can see the electrical room and the DIY Carbon Scrubber ontop of my cab. You can see the Stanley tucked in there and behind the 6" flex duct is the Ballast for my HPS.
0906061151002.jpg

Stacy, in all her glory.. She's gotten huge lol I tried to LST her a while ago, I dunno if I did something wrong or what, but after my second adjustment, most of her fan leaves started to turn brittle and die :( I untied her, and they stopped dying, so I just let her continue to grow freely. Also, while these plants have been 24/0 light since day one.. Stacy is showing ALOT of flowers.. I mean EVERYWHERE! Dunno if that's normal or this plant has begun auto-flower, but eitherway, they will be 12/12 by sometime next week so it doesnt make a difference.
0906061152002.jpg

Lucibelle is growing up nicely as well.. she did seem stunted for a while, but she's taken off on a growth spurt again.. She is starting to show signs of pre-flowers, so I'll be keeping a close eye on her over the next couple days. Hard to tell cause they are soo small still, but they are looking like female to me.. we'll soon see (cross yer fingers!)
0906061154003.jpg

Lulubelle and Mimi have been struggling.. her top fan leaves got sooo bushy, 3/4 of the plant wasnt getting any light, so I trimmed 3 of the larger ones off. This has made her look scrawny, :( but has allowed for the lower bud sites to take off, and allowed Mimi alot of light. It took Lulu a while to get back into growth after the cuts, but she seems to be back to growing it off now.
0906061155001.jpg

Sorry I dont have any good pics of any of the Clones right now, but those will be for the next update. I have the 400w HPS on the go, and gonna see how they like it. Temps did go up a bit more than I was hoping (from 78-81 with the CFL's to 85 steady with the HPS/cooltube) but I am getting a portable AC prolly within the next month (definately before the temps get too high) and that should take care of it.

As a goodbye pic, he's a shot of how I rigged up my DIY Cooltube/Reflector.. was pretty easy following the Bake-A-Round DIY, but I wish I had made less area that clamped to the cooltube.. woulda probably been a more even spread of light, but if all else fails, I can just make a new reflector and replace this one in the future.
0906061157001.jpg

Questions/Comments?

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
I think at least part of the heat problem is from choking the fan. It appears your intakes are about 2" while your exhaust is 6". If that's true, you want another dozen (12) intakes. Passive intake starts at double the exhaust area; Three 2" holes combined are less than 1/3 the area of a 6" hole.

While the example is 1" versus 9". it still makes the point.

I currently have 6x 2.5" passive intakes.. I wasnt sure when cutting, how many I needed.. I was using a crappy ass 2.5" hole saw drill bit that was super cheap and was a pain in the ass to use.. I'm trying to find a better way to cut holes and I will get some more in there, thanx for the tip

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
@ 2.5", another six will do. Outside of a shotgun, a hole saw is probably the fastest way.

More Updates!

More Updates!

More Updates!

@FreezerBoy: I took your advice and added some more vents, and it solved my issues. I went out and bought a 3" holesaw bit and 18V drill.. the drill suct ass as it would use a whole battery charge to drill 1 hole, but I got 4 more 3" holes, and it dropped the temps to the 76-78 range & I got an AC installed as well. it's in another room, but I have alot of fans circulating air and it's brought the room the cab is in, down to 71-73. If it goes up anymore, I can always cut another couple holes.

General Updates:
(Pics will be up tonight.. girls just started there first 12 off cycle today so waiting for lights to come back on)

It's been busy the past week or so since my last update.. I built a Rubbermaid veg chamber RedGreenery style that I will have a post and pics up for in the Micro Grow section a little later tonight.. It's currently holding 3 outta 4 of Stacy's clones in 6" pots, my stray extra bagseed that I got in a 2gram nug and decided to grow out (which is doing as good as some of the second clone batch) and the 4 clones I took from the 2 Cherry Berry's. They've been in there only for a night now, but they seem to be loving the enclosed space with 4x 23w daylights, and 2x 26w soft whites. Temps are currently sitting 76-77.

In my main cab now is just Luci, Lulu & Mimi, Stacy, and the bushiest of Stacy's 4 Clone's. I've put Stacy and Luci both into 10" pots now, but I ran outta soil and gonna pick up some Pro-Mix Potting soil on Friday so I can do Lulu/Mimi. I'll save the individual detailed plant updates for tonight when I post up the pics, but overall I'm REALLY impressed with Stacy as a mystery sativa.. she's ~1.5months veg, and she's got CRAZY flowers popping. Lucibelle was looking AMAZING and bushy as hell, but a couple days ago, she just freaked out. I gave her a good flush as soon as I found her sick, but the dmg was done, and it looks pretty damaging considering it happened in under 12 hrs :( She is recovering, but I think it's definately going to impact her yeild (*pout*) Luci/Mimi are progressing nicely as well.. I was considering leaving them in veg a little longer, but I think they are just going to have to suck it up, and I'll hope they catch up in flower.

As a side note.. I did happen to find an indoor gardening shop just on the edge of town that cater's to medicinal growers.. it's tiny, and I havent been in there yet but they are a part of a larger store and medicinal club. Going to check out there selection and hopefully pick up some decent ferts instead of MG and PlantProd. Open to suggestions of ferts to use with the Pro-Mix stated above.

Update As Promised /w Pics

Update As Promised /w Pics

First of all.. Check out my newly posted thread for My 29Gal Rubbermaid Veg! It's gonna be hosting all my clones/mothers and any seedlings I grow out.. I'm posting up pics of what's in it first quickly, cause they are taking off.. then I'll get to my Cab.

This is the random bagseed I mentioned in the previous post.. kinda growing wierd so I'm not sure what it could be..
0615092245ar.jpg

Two of the 4 CB clones.. I dont remember which two are from which plant, but both of there mothers are looking good.
0615092246ar.jpg

Other two CB Clones
0615092247ar.jpg

Stacy's Clone #3 (I havent named them yet, though I probably will only name whichever clone I keep to mom if Stacy smokes nice)
0615092242r.jpg

Stacy's Clone #2
0615092243r.jpg

Stacy's Clone #1
0615092244ar.jpg

Next Post, my cab.. AND SUPRISES!!!

Update As Promised /w Pics Pt.2

Update As Promised /w Pics Pt.2

Opening the door, you notice Stacy to the right immediately!
0615092251r.jpg

Stacy.. she will hands down be my biggest yeilder if she follows her current growth. She is an unknown Sativa, and is packing on the pounds already.. I cant wait to see what happens end of flower.
0615092252ar.jpg

0615092253r.jpg

Failed LST attempt mentioned previously.. I'm using velcro wire ties to hold her bushed together
0615092302br.jpg

Stacy's Clone #4 - I just didnt have room to put all 4 in the rubbermaid, so I chose the healthiest looking, and tossed her into 12/12 with the rest of them.. I doubt she will get as big as stacy, but if her genetics hold, she will probably still blow up over the next couple weeks.
0615092306r.jpg

Lucibelle - She was Super bushy, and I thought she would end up being a very nice large yeild once I put into flower, but as I stated earlier today, she had some overnight problems and caused alot of dmg in a short amount of time.. I've cut off the worst of the damaged leaves to cut down the stress on trying to repair herself, but she seems to be coming back slowly. Not sure what happened, but a good flush seemed to have stopped it from spreading.
0615092257br.jpg

Lulubelle & Mimi - They are still catching up.. Mimi seems to have stretched alot since getting under the 400w, but I've been keeping the fan on her to help strengthen her, and she's starting to bush up a bit. Lulu, no new updates, she's still growing in.. just slowly..
0615092255r.jpg

0615092300r.jpg

0615092301r.jpg

My current Ferts (all purpose and fresh water alternating, Plantprod 1tsp/gal, and occasionally MG instead of fresh water with 15 drops/gallon if I think they need extra N and the extra stuff in the MG. They seem to like it with the odd freak reaction which is prolly my fault)
0615092304r.jpg

And just for shits and giggles.. my fav view of Stacy! Really shows off a few of her nicer budsites.
0615092302ar.jpg

Comments/Suggestions/Feedback Alwasy Welcome!

GreatLakes THC

an Arthur P. Jacobs production
Veteran
How'd I miss this earlier.

How'd I miss this earlier.

Very nice grow thread customelement. I'll be pulling up a chair and watching how they turn out for you.

GreatLakes THC :joint:

Noobian

Green is Gold
Veteran
Yeah that cab is SICK. You should yield a shitload in there. Good job overall and good luck with the odor control when the time comes

oz1811

just to throw in my 2 cents

just to throw in my 2 cents

that oddball flipping out from the MG is no illusion my friend.... i stopped using it for those reasons... for veg i now use good soil and a few doses of fish emulsion... that other stuff is prob ok for flowering but a little high on the N for flower... id just stay away from the MG stuff otherwise keep up the good work they look healthy

T

theratings

I love your cabinet! Where did you get it and for how much?

I agree against relying on Miracle Gro but I do co-sign the Organic Potting Soil they sell.

The wardrobe was from a canadian Walmart, and cost me $130 CAD... I have since stopped using the MG stuff, and have picked up a bottle of Voodoo Juice, found my old bottle of Big Bud, and discovered my 2 Cherry Berry's are BOTH MALE!!! (/facepalm) I have already put my last couple (3) CB seeds in water to germ, and PRAYING TO THE WEED GODS, that they are all female.. I am dying to get a mother from this strain as it seems to be all but extinct and I really love it...

I will have an update with pics tonight when the lights come back on.

Okay so unfortunately no pics.. honestly, I am really stoned, had a long day, and didnt wanna fuck with hooking up my cell phone and xferring pics... but here's the update anyways.

As I said earlier, both of my Cherry Berry's were male, so I cut them earlier today.(my wife cried as I did it, she is really partial to the CB's and was looking forward to having more) I am really dissappointed but on the good hand the 3 last CB seeds I germed in water, all popped by this morning, and I transferred them to the last little bit of soil I had.

Mimi is still alive, and I'm thinking more and more that she isnt a twin, but rather a random bagseed that came from god only knows where, cause she still doesnt look like the other CB's.. So I left her to see how she does.

Three of the 4 CB clones I took, I threw into the flower cab to force flower them.. While their mothers both ended up male, they did go through ALOT of stress while I tweaked my setup, so I just figured I'd see how they mature.. If the nuts were from stress.. maybe these will be girls.. and if not.. I just cut and toss them with there fathers LOL The last one I kept in veg.. I figure if at least one of these new 3 seeds are female, I am gonna selective pregnate a section of bud so that I dont loose this strain since Reeferman is no longer producing them and I love it. Gonna try to do some reading up on best/easiest way to produce seeds, and try my hand.

The stacy clone I threw in flower is stretching.. like a mofo.. it's already taller than stacy, but the branches are very skinny, and the bud sites are few and far between.. I know she probably wont harvest much, but I needed to get rid of her and even if I just get popcorn buds, it's still smokables :)

Stacy herself is doing UNBELIEVABLY! I trimmed most of the dead and damaged leaves off her today to cut down on where she needs to focus her attentions. In a day or two, I am gonna trim all the smaller bud sites from the lower parts of the plant, and probably thin her out a bit more. I forgot how exciting it was opening the door everyday to see the difference in growth a day makes, but each day, I'm like a kid on xmas opening those doors to see my suprise presents :)

The other stacy clones are starting to bush up in the veg rubbermaid, but they are pretty much right at the CFL's.. the furthest is only 2-3" from the lights.. This isnt affecting the plants atm, as the fans are drawing the heat away fast enough that the bulbs are only warm to the touch, but I do need to come up with something to keep them from growing so high in the future.. was thinking chicken wire fencing as a scrog 6" or so below the lights, but it's too late for these 3 clones already.

The Random Bagseed is actually doing pretty damn good, and is getting pretty bushy. It's looking more indica as it's short, bush, and has fat leaves.. but it's still growing slowly.. however it's stem is already getting quite thick for it's age.

I've started giving them the Voodoo Juice yesterday, and today I hit the girls in flower with some Unsulphered Blackstrap Molasses @ 1tsp/gallon (funny story, we have 8 grocery stores, they all had nothing but "fancy" Molasses.. finally found a large jar at our local Bulk Barn) and Big Bud @ 1tsp/gallon right as the lights came on. I havent fed the ones in veg since I stopped using the MG and all purpose stuff.. I am looking into picking up something from Advanced Nutrients but not sure which ones to get (AN is all the local place carry's.. if anyone can recommend a specific lineup from them, I'd be greatful)

I also got myself a 85L bag of that Pro-Mix Potting & Seedling today as well, and gonna start using it as soon as I do my next transplant to bigger pots, which should be within a week I would imagine as I still have a plant or two in flower currently using 6" pots.

Overall I think it's still going well, even if I did loose my 2 prized strain plants. Stacy is looking like she is gonna break my previous days expectations each morning, and I'm learning more and more about what new things I can do to improve my smooth growing and yield as I go.

Questions/Comments/Suggestions?