What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

S&P Owners: Power cord?

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
I'm having a senior moment here. I can't even think of the right words. I knew my S&P was cord free but, thought it would come with a Doo-Dad™ to lock a cord into the motor housing.

So, I've fashioned my own Doo-Dad of sorts. It provides flex and stress protection as well as blocking the hole from moisture but, no lock. That takes a knot which means I'll need to grind out the Thingamajig the arrow points to.

So, before I do something I'll regret; S&P owners, am I missing the male Thingamajig? Was I supposed to get a Doo-Dad? And what the hell are the real words I'm struggling for?

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
As much help as you have done for me and others here, FB, I am not going to be much help, but the only descriptive word I can come up with is a "keeper." I am sure S&P would have their own word for it. Still, I wonder what they would have to say about their customers being forced to modify a new purchase?

Namaste, mess

Cannabean

Personally I think you're stressing too much over it. The Doo-Dad looks great, I don't even use a grommet or anything to hold the wire in place and I've never had problems with it coming out.
I'm not sure what type of lock you're referring to, the Doo-Dad you made seems like it would provide enough stress protection.

The wires are held in place by unscrewing the screw on the desired speed connection on the motor and that dongle is held in place between the plastic spikes and the motor housing cover.

I just have the 9ft power cords hanging from the fan being held by the screw on the motor connection.

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Personally I think you're stressing too much over it.

I'm just worried the the Underpants Gnomes and Sabai's Monkeys will fight over it when I close the door. At least I know a male Thingamajig isn't standard issue. Thanks. Where's my rat tail ....

The word is killin' me. Every electrical object I have has a ... doo-dad ... that locks the cord to the unit. Some are molded rubber, some are multipiece that snap or screw together like mine but, with a "pinch" washersleevemabob thing ...
:wallbash:

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
go pickup a romex connector.
2 set screws will hold that cord in place.
cant tell by looking at it if it is a 1/2" or 3/4" connector.
home depot has what u need
2007091015293728813.jpg

pontiac

Pass That S**t!
Veteran
You need something called "cable connectors", aka "clamp connectors", aka "romex connectors", aka "box connectors", etc. You need the NM (non metallic) round type if you're wiring an extension cord or something similar, like in your case (use flat type if you're using a flat cable). Measure the diameter of the hole on the side of the wiring box; it's usually half inch or 3/8". So say that hole is half inch, you'll need a "half inch round NM cable clamp connector". If I'm not mistaken, half inch and 3/8" connectors are interchangeable, albeit slightly misfit.

DO NOT use the metallic type (EMT); they're designed for cables with a metallic sheath, and may puncture a NM cable. Also, DO NOT use a flat type on a round cable, which may damage the cord over time.

HPIM1466.jpg

If wiring an extension cord:

RIGHT
3-27a.jpg

WRONG
96629_103020035623_ExhibitPic.JPG

petemoss

FB,
I had to spend a half hour at HD to find a little 30 cent strain relief insulator to fit the 1/2" KO hole. Had to buy a pack of ten, so I have extras. PM me and I'll send you one. The S&P fan is not grounded, so you can use a flat extension cord with the grommet.
picture.php

I didn't worry about it for mine since my fan sits on a shelf and the powerstrip for the fan sits on the same shelf. I used about 12" of cord.

If I were concerned about it getting pulled out, I'd use a 1/2" (at least I think it's 1/2". I'm "lazy" :) and don't feel like going upstairs to look at it.) romex. You can find them at the big box stores for about a buck in the electrical fittings aisle.

Sounds like the others have you on the right track.

I know you are very sound sensitive, I'll be quite curious to hear your impressions of the loudness of this fan, and whether you use the high or low setting (and the sound difference between the two)

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Thanks to one and all. Petemoss has the item I was thinking of. My Elicent has a screw on type called a MaxiBlock. Apparently, they're only sold to right ponders. I can find it on the web in French, Italian and I guess Czech. Left of the pond, MaxiBlock brings up steel security curtains.

Elicent MaxiBlock on left; S&P mod on right. Once Canna informed me that I wasn't "missing" parts, I ground out the Thingamajig to make room for a knot.

Still waiting for carbon to arrive so I haven't really tested. Out of the box, the 4" S&P TD100x (135/100 CFM) at full speed is at least 50% quieter than Elicents 4" ACX-110B-C (145 CFM). At 100 CFM, noise drops another 50% or, about 25% of the Elicent. My 76 CFM axial was sufficient for cooling, it just can't power a legit scrubber and my DIY odorsock is not going to cut it with Mandala's 8 Mile High. While MUCH quieter than my axial, the S&P sounds "suspicious" but, at these levels, my garage radio may mask it.

Thanks again for all the help. I love this place. :wave:

i was pissed when my 4" - 100x didnt come with any of that stuff either i thought they might of forgotten to pack it. What do they expect you to do? looks good. thanks for the idea

Sticky-

Last edited:

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
i was pissed when my 4" - 100x didnt come with any of that stuff either i thought they might of forgotten to pack it. What do they expect you to do? looks good. thanks for the idea

Sticky-

Those fans can be used in industrial applications with various setups. Excluding the variable part of the fan probably lowers the price.

hey FreezerBoy i followed your link from batboys thread on the s&p fan. there is an electrical fitting called a "cgb" fitting. you should be able to find them at your local electrical supply store. you will need to know the thread size going into the peckerhead of the fan and the size of the cord so that they can get you hooked up with the correct one. i would have pm'd this to you but i cant access my old profile. i hope this info helped i know you probably already have it up and going but maybe the next time. peace

Latest posts

Latest posts