What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

800w Coco Closet- Hashberry, Sadhu, Speed Queen

I've been lurking and absorbing the vast amount of knowledge that the wonderful people of ICMag have shared and now am ready to show where I'm at with what I've learned. So here goes.

I hope to continue to learn with this thread, so please offer suggestions on where I can improve based on your experiences. And try to be polite when you tell me how I'm screwing up.

I have actually grown indoors many times, but this is only my 3rd go with coco and 2nd with seeds not from a bag. And the rest of the story.... (RIP Paul Harvey)

I popped 4 beans on election night, like November 4 last year? Three of the four were females, a hashberry, a speed queen, and a sadhu. I vegged them in the pots you see in the first pic in 100% coco until two weeks before flower. My initial idea was to let them grow tall, cut them in half and clone the tops and flower the cloned tops with the mothers. I left the lid off my clone tub and only the Sahu survived, so I have 4 plants instead of the intended 6. Oh well, just veg an extra week. (My camera is cheap and photo skills awful in addition to my shakiness, sorry.)

picture.php

I vegged until Feb. 17. About 3-1/2 months. hehehehehehe

I used Pure Blend Pro grow with Cal/Mag and some Liquid Karma until I ran out of PBP and switched to CNS17.

A couple trouble spots during veg of my own doing, but they did very well.

Per Mandala instructions I was light on nutes, that is, after the first mistake. I stayed around 300ppm most of veg and only gradually moved up to 600 ppm at flower. I water once per day by hand in the morning. About 1 gallon per plant gives me 10+% run-off. PH to 5.7. My tap water comes out with 30-40 ppm and a high ph, so its pretty good. And all that veg brought us to this on day 1 of 12/12.

picture.php

They are in 4 gallon buckets (except Sadhu clone in 1g pot) with about 25% perlite. To the left is Speed Queen. Then the Sadhu clone top in a 1gallon pot. Then we have the bushy Hashberry. And finally all the way to the right is the Sadhu.

Its a kind of scrog I guess. A lazy one just to help even out the canopy. And I've tied a few tall runners back down and will do it some more.

I'll be back with more to make this current.

This is day 7 of 12/12. Stretching.

picture.php

Day 7 - Here's the Sadhu (right) and some Hashberry

picture.php

Day 7 - Speed Queen, with some clone Sadhu and Hashberry mixed in. Its a scrog, so they are all over the place, lol.

picture.php

Day 7 - I think this is a Hashberry just starting to flower. Darn HPS yellow light.

picture.php

And you can see a bit of the stretch still going on into week two.

Day 10 - 12/12

picture.php

And at Day 12 - 12/12

picture.php

Let's face it. The fun really doesn't start getting good until after week two. And here we are.

Day 14 - 12/12

picture.php

Day 14 - 12/12 Speed Queen

picture.php

Day 14 - 12/12 Sadhu

picture.php

Day 14 - 12/12 Hashberry

picture.php

Day 14 - 12/12 Speed Queen

picture.php

Day 14 - 12/12 Hashberry

picture.php

And that brings us up to date.

Thanks, unta. I should have more pics tomorrow or Friday I think. I did more trimming underneath and tied a few of the taller colas down a bit more, but they are coming along nicely and showing trichomes, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

OK I've got an update. The flowers are starting nicely and trichomes are popping up everywhere. I'm happy and they seem to be also. Today I did a flush and started them on full bloom nutes, CNS17 at 600 ppm, with some Liquid Karma. I think I will switch to Pure Blend Pro Bloom soil formula to finish them off when they are ready.

The stretching has stopped. They should only get a few inches taller now. If not, I've got a few more inches of height to play with and I can tie them down some more if needed. (Again, sorry for horrible photography.)

Mostly Sadhu in the below pic.

Mostly Speed Queen

Mostly Hashberry

Flowers starting to develop

Frosting has begun.

(I may have to edit these pics, as I did it differently this time.)

EDIT: OK the pics are thumbnails instead. If you click them the bigger pics open. Let me know which way is better if you have a preference.

Last edited:
trueblu8 and e20sm0ke thanks for the encouragement. I got these beans a while ago and am just getting to them. Its funny they came back out right around when I popped mine. Hopefully somebody getting them like you might be helped by my experience.

RussCargill

Things are looking great so far. I love those Mandala genes. The Sadhu and Hashberry are going to 1 2 KO your a$$ to the ground. Never had the speed queen though. Gonna Be watching the show. I have three Sadhu seedlings right now.

I personally would trim everything under the screen. the leaves will harbor pest and the bud will be very airy. It lets the plants put more energy to the other bud sites.:2cents:

B

Blue Dot

Today I did a flush and started them on full bloom nutes, CNS17 at 600 ppm, with some Liquid Karma. I think I will switch to Pure Blend Pro Bloom soil formula to finish them off when they are ready.

Yeah, I've heard CNS17 produces nicely but tastes like crap.

The pure blend should taste better.

Most nutes are basicaly the same in how the plant grows but the difference can be in the more subtle things like taste.

Thanks Russ, I've been getting to the lower trimming bit by bit. I think If I wait one more day this stuff might be a little bit more potent. I do have a good fan blowing up from below into the plants, so that will help, but I do need to get that trimming. Don't want moldy buds again, that's for sure.

When I see something other than second hearsay that actually leans toward scientific evidence, I'll be worried about CNS17. Until then, I'm more worried about them staying healthy. The healthiest plants ALWAYS taste better than fried plants, "100%, pure, organic" or not.

B

Blue Dot

I didn't say CNS17 didn't produce healthy plants. I also didn't say CNS17 fries plants.

I said all plant nutes are not equal in that all provide NPK, etc but it's how they supply that that can be a difference in taste.

Metals in general taste like crap and some nutes just have more than others even if the NPK is the same.

Things like cadmium, etc. MJ is a bio absorber, it will basically suck up anything you give it.

Some companies cut corners by not leaching out all heavy metals in their production process.

My point was I've been here longer than my title shows :)wink:) and a VERY respected grower had great results with CSN17 (morphology wise) but said the taste was horrible.

I was just passing it along it hopes of helping.
(I've only been growing 25 years so I'm still learning :) )

Why are you trying to argue about things that were not said, Blue Dot? You have pulled straw men out the air that no one is discussing. Twice. I didn't say anything about taste concerns with CNS17, you did. I pointed out that if you were truly concerned about the taste, the first thing you would be worried about and mention is the health of the plants not the type of nutrients.

But since you want to point out a factor that is less important than health in determining taste even after I have said I am more worried about health, it shows that your motivation is not being worried about the taste. Your motivation is to come here in my grow diary and pick fights using anything you can in an effort to make yourself feel or look superior to me because I don't agree with you 100% on another thread. I don't play those games and they are not welcome here.

It is commonly thought that organics produce better taste all other variables being identical. In fact, perhaps there was evidence I already knew that when I said I would switch to PBP soil formula later in flowering. No one said anything to the contrary here. Straw man argument. Don't come in here to create straw men arguments from things that no one is saying please. You are disagreeing with things that no one said and you are not showing how I said anything that wasn't true. Those are emotional games most likely motivated by your desire to punish me for disagreeing with with you. That does not help.

G

guest5703

sweet grow, looks like you knew what you were doing when you put them into flower, they stretched very nicely and filled in every last bit of space! Hopefully I can't stick around to see how dank your buds get! Are you running MH an HPS as well?? Peace

Thanks caligreen. Actually it was more of a lucky guess, but I'll take it. I did it before with different strains so I had some idea. The beauty of the scrog I've learned here is that you can lower taller branches enough by tying them back down. Works for me. You got me curious how tall they are so I measured. From where the stalk hits the coco the canopy is right about 40 inches tall. The scrog shelf is 30" above that point. On average they stretched about ten inches, with the taller main branches now tied down maybe a 12-14 inch stretch.

Yes, there is MH and a HPS running. I used the MH alone for about a week to get them to the scrog shelf, then I turned both on for a few more days before flowering. I should have taken pics of the week leading up the first day of flower in hindsight, that may have be helpful.

The MH was on the right when I started flowering, and I noticed those plants got taller quicker. I think you can see that from the pics. It appears the idea that MH is better for veg is true.

I switched the MH to the left a week ago because the right side was taller. More so, actually, I moved the HPS to the right side to help it stop getting taller.

I have another HPS bulb I could use, but its been run and is weaker and is just a standard HPS so I think I'm going to leave the MH in and see what happens. Its not a good sample at all, but I have a mother Sadhu under the HPS and the clone Sadhu under the MH. I haven't completely read your thread but I will now. I'm more curious about running both MH and HPS and I hadn't given it a ton of thought before other than which bulb was newer.

Hopefully my buds get dank, thank you. Will having them both under MH and HPS make them better you think? I can't move them like a light mover to give them equal exposure, but do you think it would help to switch them back and forth to try to achieve that? Hmmm, that is interesting, but a lot of work I probably wouldn't do. Still curious.

Sorry for the harsh attitude with Blue Dot. He brought it in here from somewhere else. I shouldn't engage in that kind of entertainment and I will try to keep it from happening again.

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
looking like its pretty full in there mate... can't wait to see how that set up yields for you...looks very productive :smile:

B

Blue Dot

bobbleheadjed, you had a link in your sig. I saw it in the other thread and figured I check it out.

You mentioned csn17 and I remembered something I read (like 3 years ago) and figured maybe I'd be of some help by letting you know about how csn17 tastes because I figured you had never ran it and didn't know. When you said you "think" you might switch to PBP I took that as you might still be on the fence about switching. I guess you meant you were definately gonna switch and I misread it.

That's ALL I was doing. Everything else you went on and on about is in your head, not mine.

Blue Dot you said the fruits of my labor were going to taste like crap and then said the difference in taste is subtle when disagreed with. I don't imagine the taste of crap is subtle. You weren't being helpful. Enough already.

Day 19- 12/12 Bud Shots

Day 19- 12/12 Bud Shots

Did some quick Day 19 bud shots for an update.

Day 19 - 12/12 Speed Queen

picture.php

Day 19 - 12/12 Hashberry I think. Maybe Sadhu.

Day 19 - 12/12 Hashberry

Day 19 - 12/12 Sadhu

looking like its pretty full in there mate... can't wait to see how that set up yields for you...looks very productive :smile:

Thank you, yes it is full. I hope I am maximizing the space I have with only a few plants. I counted about 40 bud sites exposed at the canopy. With only two feet of depth to play with you do what you gotta do. I dream of a vertical run someday.

RussCargill, I'll get to that trimming tomorrow and Tuesday and get a shot of under the scrog for any more helpful tips.

I am interested if anyone cuts off some of the bigger fan leaves at or right below the canopy level to improve light penetration and air exchange and reduce moist leaves? But at what cost from the energy produced by those leaves? Do it with one plant and a few leaves to see? Time for more research. scrog thinning , scrog trimming , scrog pruning , here we go....