What's new

Jasmonic acid + Gibberellin = 91% More Trichomes

Evidently a solution of jasmonic acid and gibberellin applied as a foliar spray will stimulate trichome production by 91%. The study from which this originates is titled:

Gibberellin and Jasmonic Acid Have a Synergistic Effect on Trichome Induction

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=281631

Jasmonic acid is expensive and requires refrigeration. It can cost as much as $20 per milligram and must stored just above freezing to remain viable. A cheaper organic alternative might be sagebrush artemisia tridentate, which produces 30 to 40 times higher concentrations of jasmonic acid than any other plant known, and is a common roadside weed in much of the American Southwest. It may be possible to use sagebrush as a source of jasmonic acid for activating plant defenses in indoor production systems.

In a University of California study Richard Karban and other researchers clipped leaves of sagebrush plants to mimic insects eating their leaves. The cut sagebrush released methyl jasmonate, which the wind carried to nearby downwind tobacco plants. The plants sensed the methyl jasmonate and reacted by increasing trichome production as a defense. Jasmonate treatment significantly increased nicotine concentrations in the leaves of treated plants 22-54% above those of their control, water-treated counterparts. Plants, though, react to even extremely high concentrations of volatiles only within an extremely short range. The tobacco plants had to be within 6 inches of the receptive plant to achieve an effect.

Induced Resistance in Wild Tobacco with Clipped Sagebrush Neighbors: The Role of Herbivore Behavior

http://www.springerlink.com/content/x11436164716gx67/

Another untried method may be to harvest fresh sagebrush, grind it up in a blender with water, strain it, mix it with a solution of gibberellin, and apply it as a foliar spray.

ft100

ICMag Donor
Veteran
now we just have to see some tests and the door is unlocked to 50 % thc buds good stuff peace and smoke

Dank-j

OldMan&theWeed, I love reading your posts and feel you are doing some very forefront research. I also THANK YOU for sharing your information with the community. Keep doing what you are doing!

WOW, that sage brush grows like weeds where I live. I'm going to test this.

It is good to be aware of certain factors before you use sagebrush or any other jasmonic acid treatment to stimulate your plants.

Lets remember that jasmonates are selectively up-regulated in response to insect attack. Insects pierce basal leaf cells or petioles releasing jasmonates that trigger quite a few responses.

While jasmonates provoke the plant to ramp-up trichome production and other forms of plant chemical defense, they do this at a cost to other processes. The plants will cease growth and stop investing energy in producing more calyxes. For this reason it is advisable to apply any jasmonates after the vast majority of your calyx development is completed.

Remember that you are tricking the plant into thinking it's being attacked by insects. This carries other ramifications other than increased trichome production. TIMING will be the most important factor for a successful use of jasmonates. Research also shows that plants will go through a brief period (48 hrs) of excessive transpiration upon jasmonate release. Be careful of dosing. If excessive exogenous jasmonate is applied to leaves, the leaves will essentially be aborted, akin to abscisic acid or salicyclate applications.

I think it's a very good method of increasing trichome production. Just realize that at this stage it is experimental. That said, I do believe that application of jasmonates via sagebrush will be the safest route to go. Don’t forget that according to research applying gibberellin and jasmonic acid together will have a synergistic effect on both trichome number and density.

Here’s some info for those interested in gathering your own sagebrush (artemisia tridentate).

The epithet tridentata, refers to the 3-toothed leaves. The leaves have three blunt teeth at the apex, 1-4 cm. long and about 2-12mm. wide and are silver-green in color.

SagebrushClose.jpg

Sagebrush is a rounded deciduous shrub to 3m. tall. With silvery-green leaves. The stem is short and it has a thick trunk or several branches from the base.

SagebrushFar.jpg

Flower head consists of 3-15, all perfect and fertile, tubular flowers. Corollas 2-3mm. long, flower heads mostly erect on branches 15-40 cm. long, involucres 3-4mm. long, and 8-15 phylleries.

sagebrushboom.jpg

It can be found as far north as British Columbia to South Dakota, south to New Mexico and Baja California. In Arizona it is found in all counties except Yavapai at 5000-8000 feet.

Artemisia_tridentata.gif

Here’s a link for sagebrush extract, but I’m dubious as to the jasmonate content as jasmonic acid breaks down rather rapidly if not stored just above freezing.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006NZ2R2...A1KTH924LYM2YH&tag=dealt28930-20&linkCode=asn

Capn

thanks a lot old man. will definitely test this. So I gather I should spray the plants with the home-made extract immediately after producing it, and right about when the plants are done with most of their growth.

It'll be a month or two before my plants are in the right stages of growth for this. When the time comes i'll let eveyone know how it goes.

wow this is amazing research! so since this stops production/development of calyx's would it be a good idea too do this late in flowering? howmuch time does it take too see desired effects?
the only thing that confuses me is that wouldn't the new explosion of trichome's need too mature in order too actually produce more thc? so my thoughts are could you mist your plants with sage too encourage trichome production then stop administering, would the plants continue forming buds? or would this stunt for a long time? or would it go back too producing bud and let the trichomes produce thc?
you have me very interested! but equally confused :)
great work old man.

thanks a lot old man. will definitely test this. So I gather I should spray the plants with the home-made extract immediately after producing it, and right about when the plants are done with most of their growth.

It'll be a month or two before my plants are in the right stages of growth for this. When the time comes i'll let eveyone know how it goes.

In Kessler et al. (2006) fresh clipped sagebrush leaves were simply placed around the bases of the plants. Making a solution of freshly masticated sagebrush leaves however, and applying it as a foliar spray might be more effective. Maybe you could try both methods.

Remember, for the full synergetic effect you must also apply gibberellin along with the jasmonic acid (sagebrush).

. . .since this stops production/development of calyx's would it be a good idea too do this late in flowering?

howmuch time does it take too see desired effects?. . .

. . .wouldn't the new explosion of trichome's need too mature in order too actually produce more thc?

so my thoughts are could you mist your plants with sage too encourage trichome production then stop administering, would the plants continue forming buds? or would this stunt for a long time? or would it go back too producing bud and let the trichomes produce thc?
you have me very interested! but equally confused :)
great work old man.

All good questions.

This is new territory here.

The answers must come from us.

. . .so since this stops production/development of calyx's would it be a good idea too do this late in flowering? . . .the only thing that confuses me is that wouldn't the new explosion of trichome's need too mature in order too actually produce more thc?

The directions in the paclobutrazol based additives such as Gravity, Rock flower Juice and SuperBud all recommend that their products be used three weeks before the end of flowering, which coincides with the end of calyx development. Jasmonic acid, like paclobutrazol, inhibits further overall plant development in favor of floral development. In the case of paclobutrazol it increases floral weight, while jasmonic acid is meant to stimulate natural pest repellents (trichomes).

Other products that promise more trichome production are Purple Maxx and Ooze Bloom (which I once believed could contain JA), that also come with the recommendation that they be applied three weeks before harvest.

Therefore I imagine the ideal time for application would be three weeks before harvest. But this is just a guess.

FreedomFGHTR

Veteran
Related Question

Related Question

Is there any relationship between Sagebrush populations and landrace potency?

Capn

I'm still waiting on my Gibberellin. Taking longer than expected. Still got a few weeks of flower left though before I can test it.

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
To clarify, this is a study on tobacco, not weed, and you have not tried this, is that correct? And do we know what smoking this residue does to us? One old man to another.
H

To clarify, this is a study on tobacco, not weed, and you have not tried this, is that correct? And do we know what smoking this residue does to us? One old man to another.
H

Similar jasmonic acid studies have been conducted on tomatoes as well. In my view this increases the chances that the effect may manifest itself on a wide variety of plants.

Regarding your safety concerns of smoking cannabis that has been grown in the presence of clipped sagebrush leaves - I can't imagine a safer intervention. Sagebrush is a common forage for bighorn sheep as well as domesticated goats. Moreover it has been used for centuries as an herbal remedy by the indigenous people of the Southwest.

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
I see no issue with a plant surrounded by sage or cut up leaf, but spraying it foliar could be a different matter, and I do not know. So far you are talking about herbs, fruit, and tobacco, not weed. No data on if the tobacco was fit or safe to smoke.

If you had tested this, or had data from someone who had done it with weed, and found it to be safe to consume, then it might be worth a try. As presented, it is just more untested theory, that could even cause damage.

Trics don't come in a bottle, they appear when you help your genetics fulfill their nature.
H

Latest posts

Latest posts