What's new

Worst time for stress

P

Pandemic

Oh I did it. I gave it to them. I know they will survive and I will still get that sticky dank but a question has arose.

When is the worst time to stress your plants. Early or later in life? Specifically I am concerned about Hermi's

My scenario:

Day 14, I come in and do the trim, taking with me the bottom third of 49 diesel's. I didn't time it quite right and I had to mess with the timer. Moved to "outlet on" I finished up my trimming and, knowing it was time for them to be up just walked away. This half is the night sleepers so I do not notice this until this morning. I'm looking at light shining out of both of the intakes...huh.

So I not only hacked on these girls I have given them about 60 hours of straight light. That does explain the aggressive stretch and quickly dropping reservoir. :jump:

I know everybody does it so I know I'm cool. Like I said this experience has made me think, when it comes to stressing our little girls can we get away with more in say week 2 of flower rather than week 8 (10 wk strain).

Just wonderin'

M

moses224

Sex of plant is determined weeks 3 and 4 and earlier. You want to make sure your light, nutes, airflow, etc are perfect. It will greatly increase your number of females. You cant turn back so get everything right and keep trucking forward but your plants are in a crucial time as its related to the sex of the plant

P

Pandemic

Thanks for posting, however you didn't touch on what I was asking.

Maybe I'll re-word.

The cuttings are a little over 6 weeks, off of plants that are 9 months old. Sex established. I have an A & B going side by side. Same genetics.

A just got 60 hours of light two weeks in

Say I give B 60 hours 8 weeks in (of a 10 week strain)

Who will suffer more, in respect to shooting out bananas.

M

moses224

I guess im missing it. If the cuttings are sexed why the concern of bananas? They are female....maybe im misreading my man

tgpfarm

To Pandemic:
Sorry I do not know the answer.

moses224 said:
I guess im missing it. If the cuttings are sexed why the concern of bananas? They are female....maybe im misreading my man

Because stress can cause a known female clone to hermi.

moses224 said:
You want to make sure your light, nutes, airflow, etc are perfect. It will greatly increase your number of females

All true but none of those things will increase the number of female plants you get. Environmental conditions do not determine plant sex. Any hermi's aren't the worse thing in the world if you do get um since they'll assure you female seeds.

M

moses224

It proven plants under stress have higher chance of becoming a hermie. So yes your growing conditions should be optimum to assure you dont get bananas. All the feminised seed growers emphasize this so you get a female plant not a hermie

if you expose a plant that is 8 weeks into flower to 60 hours of light, you'll cut those whores down before they even think of showing a banana. If you expose a new recruit (under 2 weeks) to 60 hours of light, it'll confuse the shit out of it, you may end up with early hermies, but you also may not... It doesn't change the CHANCES of hermaphrodition, it's just that a plant far along in flower will not get a chance to shoot out bananas before you chop her, they take a few weeks to develop after the stress.

Light stress is a little more forgiving on most strains than cutting... And a lot of people cut their plants 2 weeks into flower for lollipopping. So I think you'll be fine... I've had bulbs go out on me several times, I've had timers get stuck on the "on" position (tab timers leaning against something, so the dial is unable to move). The key thing is to catch it.

But your plants should NEVER go 60 hours without at least someone checking on them, thats 12 hours short of 3 days... I know my reservoirs would be near empty, and my mothers would be thirsty as hell if I didn't check on them for 3 days. Not to mention, if I had a pump timer malfunction, my shit would be ruined in a lot less than 60 hours. Nothing like walking in to see 12,000 dollars worth of weed shriveled up and nearly useless.

So my advice would be: 1) make sure you check everything every night, 2) don't play with the 'on' switch on your timer. 3) if you somehow do cause light stress, apply a b1 foliar... thrive alive, superthrive, etc. as soon as you notice.

-- steve