What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

moon cycle

smurph777

Hello growers and smokers,

Any thoughts about the moon cycle and how this affects any part of the growth of the plant?

from seed germ to clones to flower cycle etc??

Is it a "crazy" belief?

nice1

The Vermonster

I know there is definately something going on..........i read a cool article once about it and forget but if i can remember it has something to do w/ gravity or something like that........

smurph777

Hey,

i'm gonna do some research on it, the horticultural world must have findings about affect (if any) the moon has on plants.

interesting!

nice1

Everything on Earth is effected by moon cycles--no exceptions.

Having said that, the effect is more pronounced in direct proportion to an Earth-bound object's mass. So, my guess--and it is just that--is that it's effect on a single seedling is very small. Just my :2cents:

Interesting topic however...

de Toke

G

Hi smurph,

For one, I think the moon is a very powerful force. Something that has not been fully understood by people. (not just with regard to growing plants either)

Back to the question:

Lunar growing is a very complex method, although it can be accomplished fairly easy. Start with the basics and progress from there.

A general rule of thumb when the moon is waxing, plants develop leaves and above ground systems. When the moon is waning, plants develop their root systems. Planting leafy crops such as our fav. plant =) that grow above ground are best sown at waxing moon, and those that will require strong root systems or grow below ground should be sown after full moon, in the waning phase.

Naturally good gardening techniques must also be followed, but paying attention to the moon phases may be quite rewarding. Since we are able to anticipate the phases, we can plan ahead and maximize the connection between the solar system and biological cycles to gain optimum results.

The moon symbolizes emotions, instincts, habits, and routine. It describes the ways in which we feel most nurtured and secure. The moon also reflects the public mood as it changes signs every two to two and a half days.

Waxing moon is a growing moon and includes these phases: New Moon, Crescent Moon, First quarter Moon, and Gibbous Moon.

Waning moon is a shrinking moon and includes these phases: Full Moon, Disseminating Moon, Second Quarter Moon, and Balsamic Moon.

Crescent moon phase is when the best germination occurs and is a good time for thinning out seedlings to give room for the rapid growth that occurs at the next phase. Gibbous moon phase is when there is a greater uptake of nutrients from the soil, and swelling of fruits. Disseminating moon is an excellent time for seed setting and ripening. Balsamic phase is the best time for destroying weeds, pruning trees, and all preparation for the next cycle.

It is important that you should not do any gardening task at the exact time of a phase. Wait a few hours. Each of the exact phase positions marks a critical time as the moon makes a shift from one phase to the next.

Because the sun stays in a sign for a full month there are some months that are better for certain gardening tasks than others. Interfacing the sun cycle and the moons cycle takes a little skill but is not difficult once you apply the logic.

If the sun is in a fertile sigh for a month, then you should take advantage of that month to do some gardening. Naturally the best results occur when the moon is also in a fertile sign and the correct phase with the sun. The best days for doing specific tasks will depend on the moons sign. To synthesize the phase with the sign is important in planting. There is no point in planting at the correct phase, if the moon is in an incompatible sign. One which might damage or inhibit growth.

Remember the sun stays in a sign for a month, the moon passes through all 12 signs in a month. Translates to 2 and a half days per sign roughly. A new moon always occurs when the sun and moon are in the same sign. A full moon occurs when the moon is in the opposite sign to the sun.

Hope this helps

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
My barber said the same thing about cutting ones hair. If you cut is when the moon is waxing it will grow back thick, and if you cut it when the moon is wanning, you could go bald.

Bedlam

de Toke-ville said:
Everything on Earth is effected by moon cycles--no exceptions.

Having said that, the effect is more pronounced in direct proportion to an Earth-bound object's mass. So, my guess--and it is just that--is that it's effect on a single seedling is very small. Just my :2cents:

Interesting topic however...

de Toke

i can't speak on gravity possibly dictating a seedling's sex, but most plants are gravitropic, which means they use gravity to either grow against it or with it, but thats how plants know which way to go to break up out of the soil.

U

ureapwhatusow

According to farmers albanac there are certain days best for sowing seed

i did a multi strain grow this way maybe 2 a year there is a moon like this (long time ago memory foggy)

but it was by far the best turn out of phenos from all the stock i planted i have ever experienced

i never mentioned it frankly cause i thought ppl who scoff

smurph777

Hey every1,

thanks for the brain work!!

cheers "yityat" thats just the info i was looking for.

I'm going to introduce aspects to my grows see how its goes/

thanks very much!!

smurph

obZen

facelift said:
My barber said the same thing about cutting ones hair. If you cut is when the moon is waxing it will grow back thick, and if you cut it when the moon is wanning, you could go bald.

*cough* bullshit *cough*

Latest posts

Latest posts