What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do I really have to wait a Month after lst to flower

ratfield

ive read that you should wait a while (jorge cervantes says a month) after lsting in order to induce flowering. Is this true?

btw i did my first lsting work last night and it was tons o fun

:joint: everyday

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
well you should wait until your plant is over the stress and new growth is starting on your plant.

Think of it as making a crown, when all those points of teh crown are there, fire away

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
Good post Dr. Dog

Good post Dr. Dog

When ya bend a plants main stem, ( the maristem it's called ) it changes where the plant sends the majority of it's growth hormones, mainly auxins. This hormone gets sent to the highest part of the plant, so if ya have everything even on top, it goes ta all of em. This is why Doc D suggests this and "George" C. of coarse.... Somethin ta think about tho. The longer you veg the more colases yul have, because it will send up a potential cola at every node or set of leaves. More nodes more colases. But! every starin is alil different about how many it will blow up nice and fat. Some strains don't do to well with too many colases, while other do. It's somethin you learn as you go if ya grow that strain fera while. But then again you can take one that does well with a bunch of em and cut it down ta 4-5 and get super fat colases! lol I think you get the gist of it by now. Jus try an keep em even on top. Good luck! BC

Quazi

Absolutely not. You can LST even after it's entered flower. I understand why the month would be suggested though. Here's why:

What you want to be careful of is doing it too close to the time when the plant switches from vegetative growth to bud growth. If you train too late in the process then your bud-site will be too far below the canopy so your training will actually have worked against you because the plant will not have enough stretch left to push the bud-site up to the light.

This is why it's helpful to grow a strain out a couple of times because you will know how long it is in flower before the vegetative growth starts to slow and your little buds start to appear.

That's why Mr. Cervantes probably suggested waiting a month, to ensure you didn't train too late in the process. Now, keep in mind, vegetating your plant for a month before you put it in flower will produce a rather large plant if it's in a good-sized pot.

Now, with all of that said: training a week or two after flipping is not only possible, sometimes it's necessary because this is when most strains do most of their vegetative stretching. Some people super-crop and train even a few weeks into flower. Hell, I've read people tying and super-cropping when there are bud-sites.

While I completely understand Doc Dog's reasoning behind waiting until it's done stressing, the fact is: most hearty plants (esp. bushy indicas) will grow out of training that you put them in within a day or so during vegetative or flowering stretch. It's called low stress training for a reason I guess. :wink:

So, no: you don't have to wait.

I'm at work at the moment. When I get home, I'll take some pictures to show you an example of a training that was done a bit too late and how it has affected where the bud is in relation to the rest of the canopy. Here's how it started: in this pic, you can see the branch that was growing a bit too far up and out, away from the plant:

You can see that I took the tip of the long branch and trained it down towards the stem. This was done about 2 weeks into flower or so:

There was other training done at this time, but this was one of the more aggressive ones. By the time bud-sites started developing, I took the training off in hopes that it would reach up towards the canopy but the stem was strong and fast in it's form so it never really did. The bud-site has developed very nicely, but it is not as close to the light as it could of been if I wouldn't have trained that particular branch.

Like I said, I'll take some pictures to show you how it turned out.

-Q :rasta:

Last edited:

Quazi

Yea, that's also referred to as "super-cropping."

I've read of at least a couple instances of people super-cropping or "neck-breaking" quite late into flower. Considering that's a method of training that involves much more stress, I would think that it would be evidence that LST would be just fine.

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
Thats also known as crushing the hurd. It works well when a plant stretches too much and yer outa room. It doesn't slow em down much. LSTing is the way to go for increasing yeild and keepin yer plant numbers down. BC

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
While I do NOT recommend this as something to strive for, necessity (and panic) is the mother of invention. These were LSTd months into flowering.

Weed is, well, a weed and will survive a great deal of stress. The point to waiting (when the luxury is yours) is that LST encourages growth in the lower shoots. If you don't give them some time to do so, you've rather defeated the purpose.

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
what I meant to say is that you start bending your plants once they into flower, you are going to mess up the buds.
Instead of growing out into thick buds, they will now have bends and quite possibly be quite airy. You can tie down your plants when you wish, but you can easily cause damage or loss of yield
To properly do an lst you want all your tops teh same height, so that being said, you want to give some veg time

Quazi

Doc's completely correct. If I had the space to let it veg out after my trainings, I would definitely follow his advice. I'm trying to do just that with the round of clones I have now so that when I put them in flower they'll already be trained and ready to go.

Now then, here's those pics I promised.

As you can see in this pic, the aforementioned branch had it's training removed but it was too late. I highlighted it so you can see how it's much farther from the canopy where all the other bud-sites are thriving:

If I lift up her skirt you can see the results of the training. The branch is rather hearty and I didn't want to risk breaking it by tying the branch up to get it closer to the light:

The bud seems to be doing rather well despite it's difficulties but it's definitely not in the optimum location in the grow area:

Anyway, hope that information helps.

Last edited:

ratfield

I just got around to reading all the posts and am very grateful for the advice. Special thanks to quazi, b.c., and dr. d. Since ive already trained before flipping to 12/12 ill wait a week or so, or until the canopy is level. like i said i dont have much room to work with so i dont want to wait too long. I got about two feet of room from the top of the pots to the bottom of the light when its all the way at the top of my cab.

also, how do i make a link to my grow diary on my posts?

Doobie Nyce

upsetting the setup
ICMag Donor
Quazi said:
training a week or two after flipping is not only possible, sometimes it's necessary

Word. I Perform high stress training well into flower with no ill results.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Dr Dog said:
what I meant to say is that you start bending your plants once they into flower, you are going to mess up the buds.
Instead of growing out into thick buds, they will now have bends and quite possibly be quite airy.
That's what happened to mine. It was a panic move to keep them out of the lamp. I'd never design a grow around it. Just an example of how resilient these plants can be.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
anytime I grow a Sativa I have to LST her and it's well into flower. I have not noticed any ill efect doing this.

Latest posts

Latest posts