What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

IC mag bikers whats your favorite run

oldpink

Un - Retired,
Administrator
Veteran
I do lots of “Dangerous Sports” like paragliding, parachuting and bungee jumping for fun
But the best buzz I get is riding motorcycles really quick, whether it’s on the road or off road on a track
My weapon of choice is a Kawasaki Ninja 636

My favorite pastime is doing a run over a country road I know well on a Sunday morning around 8am
It’s always deserted and is one way traffic for 23 miles from start to finish using GPS and a stop watch
I've got it down to just over 10 min's 42 seconds average speed is getting on for 130mph
Though apart from accelerating off at the start I only dip below 90 twice for a couple of tight bends
And on the long downhill half way into the run with 10 miles to go with only a few kinks I’m never below 130

It’s almost like the Isle of Man TT course but a lot less twisty and no towns to go through
as it leads to a military base and is private access only (yes I have a pass as I work there occasionally)
no speed camera's or cops only MP's in land rovers and they don't care what speed I do
Though occasionally I have to brake hard to avoid a stray sheep on the road and once a bloody stag
That episode very nearly ended in a nasty wreck fortunately I managed to guess it was going to go left
As it was pointing in that direction and I swerved right at 100+ and missed it by a foot

The trick is to wait at the gatehouse for about 10 mins if the guard says anyone has been through before I set off
That way I know I have a clear road in front of me, though once I had a Porsche Carrera go through about
2 minutes in front of me
Which I caught and passed before I got half way, but my best race on that road was a Subaru STI who was up for a race
I’ll tell you what that Subaru can corner like its on rails, I finally got him on the downhill and last I looked
I was at 150+ and still pulling away, but I only beat him by about 10 seconds over the full road

this isn't the road its self but it shows you the type of road I'm riding on

11059highland_road_lrg1-med.jpg

johnipedestran

1%
Veteran
Nice Old Pink

well written transported to your spot.

I like the sound of that. My VW Turbo could have some fun on that road.

As for bikes, I am alot happier cruising, don't feel comfortable letting loose unless I am surrounded by steel.

peace
jip

bubbleman

Veteran
Hey im with you oldpink. I also love motorcycles. as well as all sorts of adrenaline junkie actions.
Snowboarding is my winter sport of choice, and dirt biking is my summer sport of choice.
I ride a 450 exc KTM for my dirt riding, which in my neigborhood of mtn, is pretty sweet to say the least.
But for my highway cruise, down the sea to sky highway ( home of the 2010 winter olympics), a world class highway that motorcyclists from around the world travel just to ride this bad boy, I ride my Harley road king classic .
THey have put 800 million into construction so the two lane highway is now going to be a 4 lane highway all the way to whistler.
Just under 70 kilometers, its makes for an epic ride on a sunny day.
We will have to hit the road one day oldpink and enjoy a ride together.

Thanks for sharing.

Blue_adept

my current favorite is a cafe'd cl360. Its super light, fast, and low :) been dragging knees everywhere lol.

BA

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Joe Cool Poker Run, Yonkers MC
usually held Labor Day weekend.

Been years since I've had a chance to go, even lately when I'd been back in NY w/my HD I was too busy working to go on any runs at all.......

E

EatShitake

Blue_adept said:
my current favorite is a cafe'd cl360. Its super light, fast, and low :) been dragging knees everywhere lol.

BA

Noice! CL is a thumper?

Came across a mid-70's CB550/4 on craigslist in my area today. Scratching my head REALLY hard about it...it would be a perfect cafe. Mechanically straight and ugly right now. But I'm a good 205 lbs so I'm holding out for a 750 or an XS1100 to mangle. I LOVE the so-called "universal Japanese motorcycle" for all its' possibilities... Crack o' spring and I'm def on a nekkid late model, tho!

My main ride's a YZ450 right now. Gettin' a little old to go ballz2tha-wall, tho. My favorite spot is the desert southwest US offroad. Mountain and canyon twisties are an equal tie, too! Riding season is upon us, ladies and gents!

Ride long...and hard! :laughing:

:joint:

K

kallenavndk

old pink your crazy man hehe have you been on that island where its legal to hit full speed ? i cant remember the island name but i was a English/scotish/ireland island but cant remember :( They make race on it to ...

oldpink

Un - Retired,
Administrator
Veteran
kallenavndk said:
old pink your crazy man hehe have you been on that island where its legal to hit full speed ? i cant remember the island name but i was a English/scotish/ireland island but cant remember :( They make race on it to ...

its the Isle of Man your thinking of and yes I've been there a few times for the TT race

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
LOL, The old bill near my old UK home had a Subaru Imprezza Turbo, god they are quick, quicker than anything else in the wet IMO.

Luckily I am now far from their reach in a land where the cops like bikers and they, nor their bastard speed cameras and traps can steal my licence. The roads are not so great to crash on, but I am 20k from one of MCN's "Top 30 European Bike Roads". Nothing else on this planet really beats spanking a sportsbike around twisty roads, or maybe I just havent met the right girl yet ... ;-)

W

WeldFlash420

Google "Tail of the Dragon" Thats my favorite ride in the world! Rte 129 boasts 118 turns in 11.3 miles and its like doin fifty around a gas pump island. Tight turns to say the least. The only thing you have to worry about up there is other bikes or cars that can't hold their lines and stay in their lanes. I've been to the dragon many times and its a wild ride to put it mildly. If you ever got to check that out, also check out the Cherrola Skyway which is twenty miles south of the dragon, incredible high speed sweepers that keep ya glued to one side or the other of the bike for the duration of the ride. Riding at 6000ft in elevation gets scary when your doin over a 100+ and run str8 into a cloud thats as thick as pea soup! I can post incredible rides all over the east coast. Not to mention the tracks we've got to ride here, but all in all Rte 129 is burned in my memory forever. Shine on OP for starting this thread.

kaotic

We're Appalachian Americans, not hillbillys!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'll have to second the dragon. I've been up and down that road since before it was called the dragon. Believe it or not a semi can make it through there. I about hit it head on coming around a blind corner. I was in a MR2 at the time and it was pretty scary. If you've been there you know there is nowhere to go but down, way down. It has been commercialized lately. It is so busy nowadays that you can't have a whole lot of fun anymore. It has become a hotspot for LEO to generate income(tickets). There are even photographers that set up shop there till dark everyday as a full time job. I guess they sell to magazines. I saw the smokiest burnout of my life there. It was by an old caddy. It was on the straitaway by the lake before you get to the actual curves. I literally had to stop cause I couldn't see through it all. You have some of the best views imaginable up there.

kaotic

We're Appalachian Americans, not hillbillys!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry doublepost

Last edited:

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The'Joe Cool Poker Run' held yearly by the Yonkers MC in NY.

The Yonkers MC is the oldest continuously running motorcycle club in the USA,
their AMA Charter # is 3, they were founded in 1903 same yr Harley Davidson
got their start. Even though they're an AMA club it's a bunch of very tight bros
riding american iron, confederates of the Hells Angels they know how to party.

I've been to all the major US events imo including Bubbas Honda Drop held
in Baraboo WI where dozens of Hondas are hoisted sky high with a massive
crane then dropped to the delight of 1000s of drunken HD enthusiasts.

My favorite short run is Toys for Tots run to the Inner Harbor Piers in Baltimore, Md. It helps the kiddies for Christmas and it's an all day blast, meet up with Old Bros, 3-4 live bands, tons of swap meet tables, good food and drink!

My favorite long run is Sturgis, South Dakota!

Poker Runs are allways a good time too, with the Independent Riders from Pearls on Old US 1 one of the last outside drive up bars on the East Coast!