What's new

Safe cooking temperatures

Ipsissimus

There are many sources that cite BPs between 300-350F.

I have to say, I've never done a side by side experiment. I have found lower temperatures to work quite well too. I'd rather not boil off anything if possible, u kno?

not to dispute your testing, but isn't it possible some thc was vaporized in the oven, and plenty remained, and the vapors dissipated before you inhaled the when opening it? why toe the line?

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
I tried lower temps, and higher temps, using the same herb strains. 315 is too low, it does not do the complete job, or at least it did not for me.

Set a vape at 350, do a couple bags at that temp and wait a half hour, see how high you are. Then do a couple at 375.

I do not need to be right, just trying to help folks get high.
H

Ipsissimus

i feel ya. Unless you are saying that lower temperatures fail to fully ACTIVATE the goods, we're really not disagreeing. @ 315F you are saying it wasn't fully orally active? or it doesn't work on the vaporizer? Activation-wise, making butter at 212F does the trick on the stove top! Many people use temps less than 315F - if you are saying what I think you're saying, I would think you would increase butter potency by toasting your herbs first. I can't say I've tried!

G.O. Joe

Veteran
The cannabinoid boiling points given in the original post, while not quite bullshit, are misinforming. At some point, there was a number accompanying those temperatures, indicating mm Hg. Those numbers would be in the 0.1 or less area. Atmospheric pressure is 760 mm Hg. Someone left out those numbers from the previous reference. And even then, those boiling points are not set in stone, since someone will get a bp of 140 one day, and 170 the next, with such vacuum.

Oven temperatures don't mean shit, since the temperature of the batter is far lower. Test it yourself with a thermometer.

The rate of decarboxylation of THCA at certain temperatures and evaporation of THC are not unknown, and I have posted them.

Ipsissimus

no wonder there's so much conflicting information regarding boiling points. I guess everyone assumes there's a concrete number.

I agree about the batter concept, but it doesn't apply for all foods. oily/sugary things can get quite hot. after the h202 is driven out, crispy cookies too. also when toasting herb/kief/hash.

I'd love to see the decarb rates, link? Thanks!!!!!!

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
You know, at 300 and 315, the herb did at least partially convert, the result was better than unheated extracts. My conclusions come from making green milk, the vape testing is recent, but backs up my conclusion.

In my experience, the butter extraction does not fully convert the thc, nor did cooking at low heats. I stopped making butter cause it is a fucking mess and the green milk is easy and effective.
H

G.O. Joe

Veteran
I'd love to see the decarb rates, link? Thanks!!!!!!

My post in the THCA v. THC thread right below this one has real science published in real scientific journals, done by real scientists with real scientific equipment.

Expect the most volatile terpenes to volatilize some. Not because of their boiling point per se, but because above 100 degrees they may be driven out by steam from the water in the butter and eggs, for instance.

paulobaca

Better to be safe than sorry I say so I bake my goods at around 275 F and my ghirardelli brownies come out good and strong according to all who try them. I usually leave them about 7 mins longer in the oven to compensate for the lower temp and also they may take a little bit longer to dry.

I also simmer at a very low temp in a double boiler.

Ipsissimus

GO - I read that thread, I could not find any hard figures on decarb temps. I thought I had read 177F but that could be totally wrong.

paulobaca, that has been my feeling all along - better safe than sorry, but hap's experience has been that lower temps do not fully activate the THC.

Next time I make butter I will divide my trim in half, and make two batches, one that I toast beforehand at 350F for 20 minutes. If the toasted version is stronger, that would be remarkable!

G.O. Joe

Veteran
It is explicitly shown that very little happens at 177F, any time soon. The graphs and tables show there is no decarboxylation temperature, there is no temperature for loss of THC, there are different rates for different temperatures. That is the most important fact to keep in mind.

Ipsissimus

must've been celsius ;) The second doc is a weird format, here's a pic:

picture.php

#4 is 251.6F for 30 minutes exactly.
#3 (222.8F) looks like 1:15 - 1:30

Simmering in water would approximate #2, so it looks like those overnight simmers that have been are dangerously strong align with this data.

The first one is for very high temps and short times (1.5 minutes, 3 minutes), available in pdf.

Temp
175C for 1.5 mins 1.4% thc, 3 mins 1.7%, 15 mins 1.7
200C for 1 min 1.3% thc, 1.5 min 1.7% thc, 16 min 1.5% thc, 30 min 1.2%, 60min 1%
225C for 1.5 min 1.7% thc, 3 min 1.4% thc, 5 min 1.4% thc

175C (347F) came up in 3 minutes. If you have 30 minutes, it appears you can do 250F and reach the same apex, boiling off less lower BP temperature terpenes etc. there is vaporization over time at all reasonable temperatures for any decent decarb action, but there is a clear ratio of temperature to time. Depending on how much time you want to spend, you can choose your temperature.

Ipsissimus

I ground up 1g mids on a plate, put in the oven at 270 for 20 minutes, then mixed with boiled hot chocolate from the microwave. I am very pleased :joint::joint::joint:

L

LolaGal

i hate to ask, but it would be nice if you could translate into Farenheit for us Celcious challenged individuals.

:)
!
Thanks for the good post

i hate to ask, but it would be nice if you could translate into Farenheit for us Celcious challenged individuals.

:)
!
Thanks for the good post

:canabis:-- it is always an interesting thing,, if you want to know exactly what 128C is in F you can use a converter,, like this..http://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm

otherwise-- water boils at 100 C and at 212F.. and freezes at 0C/32F..AND when I am in a metric country.when it is 40C outside it is HOT..

Latest posts

Latest posts