What's new

Strange Slime buildup on roots

richyrich

Out of the slime, finally.
Veteran
It's Algae. It's A Living Plant That Will Eat & Suck Your Plants To Death. I Know I Just Lost 3 White Widows. It's From To Much Light Getting To The Resevior & Warm Water! Block All Light I Mean ALL Light! I Painted Mine Black 3 Coats Before I Could See No Light. Change Your Clear Tubing For Black. Put Covers Over Your Net Pots etc.

Good Luck!
Longhair

Please, do read this thread. I know it is quite long. This slime algae is actually a bacteria, cyanobacteria. You are referring blue green algae. Totally different.

Longhair

Hello richyrich,
Mine Was Not Blue Green. It Was Translucent Gold In Color Very Gold, No Where Close To Blue Green. Also When Reading Something Interpetations Will Very.
Thank You

You Should Again Read My Post. The Color Was Only 1 Color Gold Strictly Gold. Nothing Near yellow-green to brown in color. Also I'm Talking Hydtoponics. Interpetations Again.
Thank You

richyrich

Veteran
Hello richyrich,
Mine Was Not Blue Green. It Was Translucent Gold In Color Very Gold, No Where Close To Blue Green. Also When Reading Something Interpetations Will Very.
Thank You

Maybe you had this one. Blue green algae can be any color.

"Mustard Algae" is probably the MOST misdiagnosed form of algae. Mustard algae is a chlorine-resistant form of green algae (yellow-green to brown in color) typically found in sunbelt areas.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
It's algae. It's a living plant that will eat & suck your plants to death. I know I just lost 3 White Widows. It's from to (sic) much light getting to the resevior (sic) & warm water! Block all light I mean ALL light! I painted mine black 3 coats before I could see no light. Change your clear tubing for black. Put covers over your net pots etc.

Good Luck!
Longhair

Fixed that for you. If you want your post to be read, please don't go out of your way to make it unreadable.

richyrich

Veteran
Hello richyrich,
Thank You

You Should Again Read My Post. The Color Was Only 1 Color Gold Strictly Gold. Nothing Near yellow-green to brown in color. Also I'm Talking Hydtoponics. Interpetations Again.
Thank You

I do not need to read your post again. I advise you to read this entire thread though before claiming in your post to know the immediate answer. Nothing wrong with being helpful. It is encouraged. But, blue green algae was ruled out long ago.

The point: Blue Green Algae can be any color. Do a quick google on it and find out for yourself.

I

Dr. G

slime or root rot?

they are kinda wet

whats been happeneing is overwatering and then i found standing water in my trays

the i added am90 and hygrozyme and i havent lost anymore plants but there isnt much maybe 1% new root growth but my rez ppms are going up and the ph is going up but i would think this is because of the hygrozyme breaking down roots?

getting AS in the mail tomorow

i do get a brown/red coating ont he rez and pots but i figured thats cuz of brand new hydroton that i havent washed really well

crazy thing is my table thats ion aanother room but still in the basement hasnt gotten any problems she went on sm90 the day i put these in it and that table looks amazing that rez is kinda cloudy tho.... prolly gunna dump it tomorow but im running outa nutes dumping the rezs all the time

CIMG6924.jpg

CIMG6925.jpg

CIMG6926.jpg

CIMG6927.jpg

CIMG6928.jpg

CIMG6928.jpg

CIMG6930.jpg

CIMG6931.jpg

CIMG6920.jpg

CIMG6923.jpg

another problem i added h202 to my cloner to make sure this wouldh=nt happen then teh next day brownish roots and no growth

i added am90 and hygrozyme and 3 days later new growth in the roots

BUT!!! the clones WITH NO ROOTS now have a tiny bit of slime but ive never seen any slime on any plants with roots

richyrich

Veteran
Dr. G, all your pics look like some serious root rot from sitting in stagnant water. The roots have suffocated and died. I'm kind of dealing with the same thing right now. If you are still in veg I would remove the plants and cut away as much of the rotted root mass as possible. Give them a H202 bath and put them back into your system. First though, clean your entire system with Physan20 and buy new hydroton. I would say you may have a 50/50 chance of them recovering. Might be more worth while to start over with new clones instead of waiting for them to recover. Get the trays completely draining properly and start off with beneficial microbes from the get go. Read all previous posts on the subject.

On the ph going up, that is usually indicative of the slime. I'm not sure if you have it but by recently adding a zyme product you may have opened the buffet for it to arrive.

Dr. G

well those are mostly plants i just cut down today

the rot has stopped the plants arent dieing anymore

the sm90 does raise the ph its like 8 ph in teh bottle or so maybe 9 ph

but doesn't the breaking down of the roots with the hygrozyme cause the ph to rise?

i am getting a tiny bit of new growth on the ones that arent that bad but will be adding aquashield tomorrow

if i use the physan 20 should i just flood it once? will that be enough?

also how long you think till i can add AS a friend used it on his rot 2 weeks ago and it made new roots overtake all the dead ones

i think i have killed the root rot teh plants have stoped getting worse with the am90 but wouldnt mind nuking them all

but i do see a tiny bit of slime only on my unrooted clones the clones with roots right next to it are recovering nicely

do you think if the slime is very minimal i can just add the AS to the cloner and dip the unrooted ones in physan 20 and put them back in?

ps ive read every word in this thread =)

richyrich

Veteran
well those are mostly plants i just cut down today

the rot has stopped the plants arent dieing anymore

You may experience stunting, though. I currently am.

the sm90 does raise the ph its like 8 ph in teh bottle or so maybe 9 ph

but doesn't the breaking down of the roots with the hygrozyme cause the ph to rise?

I'm not sure. It may depend on the size of the rez. I always use big rezs and I never noticed any fluctuations from adding any zymes.

i am getting a tiny bit of new growth on the ones that arent that bad but will be adding aquashield tomorrow

Make the EWC tea, also.

if i use the physan 20 should i just flood it once? will that be enough?

Flood it a few times. Do not use too much because it will be hard to get a good flush. Following, flush out with plain water. This is to get rid of all the crap along with any remaining Physan20. Then add a beneficial colony and a root stimulator.

also how long you think till i can add AS a friend used it on his rot 2 weeks ago and it made new roots overtake all the dead ones

Above

i think i have killed the root rot teh plants have stoped getting worse with the am90 but wouldnt mind nuking them all

Nuke them. The SM-90 is only going to suppress the rot.

but i do see a tiny bit of slime only on my unrooted clones the clones with roots right next to it are recovering nicely

Slime is not good. Are the cuts still firm? Once they are not and go mushy get rid of them, they are lost.

do you think if the slime is very minimal i can just add the AS to the cloner and dip the unrooted ones in physan 20 and put them back in?

Possibly, if they are still firm cuts then dip them. I would clean out the entire cloner with Physan20, rinse, and start using the EWC tea ASAP. It really works wonders. Explosive roots especially once the nubs start, then add a root stimulator and your mouth will drop.

ps ive read every word in this thread =)

Good luck.

richyrich

Veteran
Looking for fast results? Give Algaecide PLUS® 24 hours to quickly kill all types of algae and prevent them from returning. Green, mustard or black—watch them all shrink back with this non-foaming product that's suitable for all pool surfaces.

Prevents & kills green, mustard, and black algae
Non-foaming
Results in 24 hours

It's probably not enough. It's only an Algaecide. Probably a little more potent than the ones I tried from the pet store. It's pages back.

Dr. G

ya thats the only thing i could find local noones even heard of it and im like seriously? to all the people on the phone

oh well i second dayed the physan

im wondering if i should just do it once a mth hit them with physan on a separate rez then flush it then put them back into the bb rez

or do you guys think a large bb colony would be sufficient to over come the rez

did anyone actually get a sucessful harvest without useing the physan and only useing bbs after having delt wtih the slime

37 pages is alot to remember for a stoner lol

Dr. G

Well the physan isnt here yet but i dumped my cloner rez and did a strong dose of sm90 and the slime went away but as soon as they physan gets here everything is getting hit then im adding bbs

One more ? How is the foam when you flood the trays am i going to have a cartoon like thing happening where my room fills up from foam lol?

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
AQUASHIElD (previously known as hydroguard), hygrozyme, h202, sm-90, have all worked for me, but once the rot has got a foothold, you cant worry bout protecting the microlife anymore, you must use something powerful like h202/sm-90. I think there is still an ongoing debat on whether sm-90 kills microlife or not, but last i read, someone had said the the company has recently tested it (due to consumer inquiries) and said it doesnt harm microbes.

richyrich

Veteran
I had recently entered that discussion. I'll re-post a few here instead of making a link. This could come in useful for some reading here.

Do you remember anything else the owner kelly said about how SM-90 selectively kills only non-beneficial microbes. I have bottles of the product and use it often, but I have to admit I am skeptical about how the chemical ingredient selectively kills. Phone calls do not prove anything to me even if it is the owner. They did testing on their own microbe products. Do they have any lab reports, etc., to back this claim up. My honest opinion. I would like to use both microbes and SM-90 together, but I am holding fast from that approach for now.

richyrich

Veteran
I haven't spoken any more to Kelly about it, but my own tests have revealed that the bennies survive just fine.
I have been using bennies and SM-90 in my Waterfarm setup with my mother plants.
I did periodic tests by checking with a microscope.
Even if you don't have a microscope, try the combo.
If you are familiar with what the bennies do in your system, it will be easy to see what effect SM-90 has for you.

richyrich

Veteran
My guess would be if it is aerobic it would live when in the presence of SM-90.

I was thinking about SM-90 some more. I was thinking that the product more likely kills the harmful microbes and does not entirely kill off the entire beneficial microbe colony. It probably suppresses them, but my point is that they are still alive. Just not flourishing as they would without the SM-90.

richyrich

Veteran
Dr. G, I wouldn't worry about the foam in your trays. You will see most of the foam in your rez. Use the amount in my signature.

Dr. G

Ya i looked today and there was slime in the cloner fyckers hopefully they shipped it same day and it gets here tomorow

Latest posts

Latest posts