What's new

Breeding for a higher percentage of TRUE females

Laura Kush

Can this be done?

What I mean to say if you haven't understood the title is can you expose all the females in a certain stable line to extremely stressful conditions to weed out females with any hermaphroditic tendencies and find true breeding true females.

Like chaotic photo period, more red light, high temps and high phosphorus/low nitrogen, low humidity during the three leaf stage. The opposite of all the things we know that increase female percentages. Then you only breed those females who even under hellish conditions NEVER produce even a banana.

The resulting generations should produce 100% true Females. No trannies.

isn't that a dream worth aspiring to? :jump:

fjällhöga

HazeAddictedFanatic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How do you want to breed ... " those females " ... ??

If youre using males you will end with "those females" x male ... , its a f-1 .

Logically , you get phenotypes of both plants in male&female form ...

Fj

leroymmj

Select your females using rough conditions and your males under perfect conditions. Separate areas or one after the other.

Laura Kush

Verite said:
You missed a good debate on the subject.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=71995
No, that thread does not specifically discuss the breeding of TRUE FEMALES and the process by which to obtain more true females and whether breeding said true females would result in a higher percentage of true females in the offspring.

Damn, I wish I could use the PM function. I so badly want to PM Sam the Skunkman and suck on his brain.

G

leroymmj said:
Select your females using rough conditions and your males under perfect conditions. Separate areas or one after the other.

thats what I was thinking

XyZ

Trichomnia
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sam is probably happy that you can't use the pm function hehe... though it looks like you understand, so start breeding for a higher percentage of true females if this is your goal. talkin in a thread is much different than starting a real project though... you also have to ask yourself if this true fems are really so important?!? what is the final priority, a no-potent true-female or a super-strong plant but with a potential to make some "bananas" if stressed in flowering? get what i'm sayin? breeding for true fems is imo breeding for some new growers that have unstable systems where plants tend to herm. an other thing is if you combine the priorities, so searching for a true female that is also a true keeper (smoke wise) ...but this is a very very long way and it may takes a whole life. personally i don't care if a plant has the hermie potential because nearly every plant has this hermie genes but in most situations they are not expressed in a well-working garden. of course there are some Thai lines that are almost true-breeding herms... but they are potent and they have some of the highest quality flavors on this planet. this is making them very interesting for breeders where the priority is in the finished product (taste & effect) ...the hemp breeders also don't care about herming, in fact...most hemp lines are herm lines. a good portion of the worked cannabis hybrids are not "regular" herm plants, they have only this so called "hermie potential" ...which means that in a stable garden they wont show...so who cares for the potential if you don't see the hermie expressed? you can't even know if it's a hermie or a true female... as long as you dont stress them seriously, but why would you want to stress this girls if they can grow hermless :D

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
XyZ i couldn't agree with you more,and i've grown hemp out a few times in the past outdoors when i was younger ,i'm into my fishing and use hemp alot and curiosity got the better of me and i can 100% say that hemp grown for seed is defiantly monoecious,it makes sense tho if there all true breeding monoecious plants thay can harvest the fields all at once and theres no space in the fields wasted on male plants which will = larger yield of seeds per acre.

Laura Kush

XyZ said:
Sam is probably happy that you can't use the pm function hehe... though it looks like you understand, so start breeding for a higher percentage of true females if this is your goal. talkin in a thread is much different than starting a real project though... you also have to ask yourself if this true fems are really so important?!? what is the final priority, a no-potent true-female or a super-strong plant but with a potential to make some "bananas" if stressed in flowering? get what i'm sayin? breeding for true fems is imo breeding for some new growers that have unstable systems where plants tend to herm. an other thing is if you combine the priorities, so searching for a true female that is also a true keeper (smoke wise) ...but this is a very very long way and it may takes a whole life. personally i don't care if a plant has the hermie potential because nearly every plant has this hermie genes but in most situations they are not expressed in a well-working garden. of course there are some Thai lines that are almost true-breeding herms... but they are potent and they have some of the highest quality flavors on this planet. this is making them very interesting for breeders where the priority is in the finished product (taste & effect) ...the hemp breeders also don't care about herming, in fact...most hemp lines are herm lines. a good portion of the worked cannabis hybrids are not "regular" herm plants, they have only this so called "hermie potential" ...which means that in a stable garden they wont show...so who cares for the potential if you don't see the hermie expressed? you can't even know if it's a hermie or a true female... as long as you dont stress them seriously, but why would you want to stress this girls if they can grow hermless :D

You make some good points. Its just that I would love to point to a female in my garden and say."THAT is a true breeding Female".

Latest posts

Latest posts