What's new

my 1000w "TV Armoire" stealth cabinet...

thescissors

took me a while to get this idea going, for now i will let the pics do the talking... plants are MEDICINALS (lifesaver, k-train, sshxHeri, some others...) and im still trying to decide what to do about a flowering strategy... i was originally going to ORGANIC SOG with clones taken from my two biggest LST lifesaver moms, but now im thinking possibly DWC SCROG (for sheer potential output possibilities) or just flowering the moms at this point and keeping the clones as future moms, etc.... so here are some pics... :)

that "carbon curtain" idea has been scrapped for now... just not enough scrub to it! so im going to implement a combination carbon scrubber/silencer on the "backpack" out back... :)
:joint:

Last edited:

thescissors

also, its an 8" passive intake (FILTERED air!!), not a 6"... that amounts to roughly *DOUBLE* the available duct area (about 50sq.inches)... even with both lights running, temps dont go more than 5-10deg above ambient, and at night ambient can be in the 50s-60s, so it works out perfectly...

Flutch

Wow that looks great! Looks like I got the best seat in the house, I will be following this treat. Pulling up a seat to see how thing turn out

:joint: :wave:

thescissors

Flutch said:
Wow that looks great! Looks like I got the best seat in the house, I will be following this treat. Pulling up a seat to see how thing turn out

:joint: :wave:

hey thanks for stopping by!!

im just going to add more comments as they occur to me, the box is a STEALTHCAB, and stealth is at an absolute premium. Right now it is quietly humming behind me with my home-made silencing treatments doing the job to muffle the exhaust blower with ZERO restriction in the air path other than the intake filter which is over the end of the huge 8" passive intake. That duct i cut at a "baloney" slash angle so as to increase the surface area of the filter. so anyway, the STANLEY BLOWER runs on LOW, and with just one of the 400s lit, it stays only a few degrees above ambient. when i am in the depths of hard-core flowering, i plan on running the blower on medium and blazing away with both lights... right now the plants start to BLEACH OUT if i try to run for any length of time, although the bigger ones i can see are starting to get used to it. once they are in flower, im sure they will take all 800w as long as i can keep temps down, which i have no doubt that i will be able to. the "MASSIVE PASSIVE" intake is basically no restriction and the huge stanley blower can always be dialed up if need be! the both-lights-on time will most likely only be afew hours in the middle of the night when the blower noise wont be noticeable (i like to run the stereo at night... this cab is in my bedroom... ;)) and ambients can be down in the 40s if i leave the big sliding glass door open...
:joint:

sm0kateer4204

Veteran
i can understand the yield arguement when doing scrog but if your impatient i would go with sog. you would be vegging 5 week's to get plant's a big enough size to actually flower them. by then you could have your sogging female's halfway through flowering and not get a huge difference in yield. with sog you will yield much much more in a lifetime

thescissors

sm0kateer4204 said:
i can understand the yield arguement when doing scrog but if your impatient i would go with sog. you would be vegging 5 week's to get plant's a big enough size to actually flower them. by then you could have your sogging female's halfway through flowering and not get a huge difference in yield. with sog you will yield much much more in a lifetime

its more an argument for DWC (single plant, single bucket), rather than the soilSOG method i was thinking of (sog seems easier in soil)... if i could DWC a SOG, then all the better... just got to figger things out... :)

thescissors

now that i think of it maybe this doesnt qualify as a "micro"!!

now that i think of it maybe this doesnt qualify as a "micro"!!

i took CLONES today,,, going to try at least one tub of SOILSOG, black gold soil with about 30% perlite, and using GH Floranova and floralicious nutes, backed up with some maxicrop seaweed...

$1 jiffy plug rooter box (without lid on it obviously)... whatever you say, you cannot argue with ROOTS IN NINE DAYS!! (on one of the four clones i took on oct 24!--see below)

some random plants ive got...

Lifesaver LST motherplant :)

another Lifesaver MOMMA hanging out in front of the 8" MASSIVE PASSIVE *FILTERED* air intake... without a huge intake theres no way i could cool 400 (OR 800) watts *WITHOUT* an airshade!! The whole flowerbox is one big airshade!! :) The reason why i didnt want a glass-shielded bake-around or any other type of glass airshade, is a) headroom, and b) GLASS BLOCKS UV LIGHT!!! And UV LIGHT MAKES THC!! or helps... cant hurt anyways... many high-potency landrace strains are found in UV-rich environments at high altitudes... you do the math!! :)

okay, ive read a thread on here saying you can block off the other intake on a stanley blower without affecting the fan's performance, and i can PROVE to you that this is FALSE!! This "motor side" intake is *NOT* just to cool the motor, it feeds the *OTHER* side of the blower itself! All you have to do is LOOK in there and you can see what im talking about. The blower wheel has TWO sides, separated by a solid disk which mounts to the motor spindle. *BOTH* Intakes have to work to get full performance out of one of these blowers!! In addition to that, i cut out the plastic "grille" to eliminate any noise and restriction that it might have added. the goal is EFFICIENCY and STEALTH (in this case same thing since the restriction = the noise!)

Inside the FLOWERBOX (which i am using for veg at the moment) with the lights off. the desk lamp i use for light when i have the main HPS/es off... You can see i was doing some CLONING tonight!! :)

ROOTS IN NINE DAYS!! :) ive heard mixed reports on jiffy plugs, but you canNOT argue with NINE DAY ROOTS!! :)

This is the underside of the blower, again i removed the "grille" to eliminate restriction/noise. also you can see the foam i used to help absorb the noise inside the "backpack" before it can be reflected inside the box and out the exhaust.... i have a silencer for the exhaust but i couldnt get a good pic... plus im going to re-do it to make the carbon filter into the silencer, killing two birds with one stone as it were.... :)

just wanted to share!! :) if the mods think this isnt a "micro" feel free to move it! :bat:

thescissors

Don Logan said:
If you are worried about noise, you can get something like this: http://tinyurl.com/yagkbm
but i'm sure you can find one cheaper somewhere else.
Peace. :wave:

i made my own! (ill take pics tomorrow) the WHOOSH of exhaust air is almost totally silent. a quiet hum from across the room,,,, still every little bit helps! :)

sm0kateer4204

Veteran
nice job on the clones. yeah jiffy pellet work good. real easy for young root's to grow through. how long do you want to veg all them clones?

thescissors

sm0kateer4204 said:
nice job on the clones. yeah jiffy pellet work good. real easy for young root's to grow through. how long do you want to veg all them clones?

probably a week or two once roots show... i will fill a tub with my BLACK GOLD soil and just do a SOG tub to get me started... :) a million more clones are coming up, so i should start a rolling rotation of meds in the next month or two (lifesaver is FAST maturing! :)) :joint:

thescissors

DEEP WATER MAGIC!

DEEP WATER MAGIC!

Well, i think i am going to try a DWC in the "well" area on the left side of my cabinet. Tomorrow i will cut a hole in the "floor" to make room for the bucket. I bought two 24qt (6gal) trash cans at wally world, a dual-outlet air pump, 25' of airline, and two "air bubble curtain" bubble wand things. I made the mistake of assuming these would be FLEXIBLE, which they are not! But, i made them flexible anyway, and bent them around the inside of the bucket. They are two 18" bubble wands, one each on the two pump outlets. The pump is a 3.5w $10 wally world special that supposedly puts out 2800cc of air per minute. The bubbles look FANTASTIC from the two wands (doing a lil test run.. ;)), i will say that. Im going to use the lids that the buckets came with, and make my own netpots out of some regular plastic pots (cant be bothered with going to hydro store,,, i dont like to go there unless absolutely necessary), and i got some BLACK LAVA rocks as medium. Im going to clone directly in the DWC and as soon as i see roots flip it to 12/12 (and at the same time, putting the rest of my clones in SOG tubs and start them going, possibly the moms too!! :)) :joint: :wave:

simple

very nice setup im wanting to do something just like this soon. can you show pics of your silencer/filter? also how do you vent the veg chamber it appears to be completely seperated from the large chamber? what are your chamber dimensions?

Last edited:

thescissors

simple said:
very nice setup im wanting to do something just like this soon. can you show pics of your silencer/filter? also how do you vent the veg chamber it appears to be completely seperated from the large chamber? what are your chamber dimensions?

The top box is about 22inches deep, 32inches tall, and 31inches wide. on the left side, i can extend the "floor" down another good 18" which is where i am going to indeed cut a hole and put my DWC bucket once the roots hit the water and i add the first week's worth of nutes. i also have to hang the circulation fan so that the floor space it is currently occupying can be freed up for the other plants. I decided to flower out the mother plants (Lifesaver in LST) and keep the clones as for the next round... reason being that i think the BUSHES will give me more yeild compared to vegging the clones and then SOGging them out. i still have many clones to SOG, too, mind you!! but i will keep a few of the nice clones as mothers, probably two from each plant.

the veg box, its funny you should ask, because i just added ventillation today. it has a 4" lasko mini-high velocity "cage" fan that blows into a 5" HVAC 90-degree elbow that points at the ground. i still want to rig an intake, but right now with all the clones in there rooting, i want to keep the temps a little bit elevated. once they root i will cut an intake also (currently it only draws fresh air around the door which i havent sealed off yet) because i want to temps to stay a bit lower in there for good seedling/clone growth and to help keep future seeds from going male from too-high veg temps. my ambients are pretty low so i have to manage my heat a bit at the moment. i actually have the front door to the veg chamber cracked because i have re-installed the 6x23w CFLs along with the 1x65w CFL that was in there previously. i had *no* ventillation with my clones before (with only the 1x65w) and it was a little *too* hot, so the one active vent plus low ambients lets me run more lights with little concern for getting too hot. ultimately, it will have an active *FILTERED* intake, once this round of clones is rooted. future clones will most likely get a small heating pad to sit on. the veg box also recieved a few of the smaller plants that i had in the flower chamber in veg mode... now that it is in 12/12 and ive ventillated the veg box, i moved them back to veg which is 24/0.

i found a "bag of rocks" room deodorizer thing at homedePOT... i hung it inside the flower chamber, and it seems to be helping with odor control. i have a loose carbon filter added to the exhaust muffler, also ... i have to get pics of all this at some point....... i could have gotten pics today but the camera wasnt at hand... :)

Last edited:

thescissors

sm0kateer4204 said:
nice man, should be some serious yielding going on at your place.

Yea!! i might have to shut this down after this first big initial harvest, which is why im going all-out and flowering my LST MOMMA BUSHES as well as starting a DWC in the same chamber! I have i think four or five LST mommas as well as the DWC which as we all know can absolutely explode in growth. i have a NOTORIOUS BLACK THUMB (which is why i call myself "thescissors") so i may yet screw that up. im using the GH floranova, and after FIGHTING with "advanced" nutrients' HORRIFIC PH PROBLEMS, i am ***SO*** glad to have a BUFFERED nute system, which actually is what is REALLY leading me to try DWC again!! every time ive tried hydro its been horrible disasters, and i attribute that entirely to my own suckiness combined with suckiness of AN products. i was using their three part formula for the record. NEVER AGAIN!!! :)

ill get pics of the whole shebang tomorrow... :)

thescissors

pics from today...

pics from today...

I *THINK* this is day FOUR of flowering...... ;)

here is the vegbox with the newly installed exhaust vent... i think i will just drill holes in the floor at the front of the veg chamber to act as passive intakes..

this is the 5" HVAC ducting that is my light baffle...

this is the backside of the 8" "MASSIVE PASSIVE" filtered intake.. the filter is on the other end there which you cant see.. :moon:

THIS is my silencer,,, believe it or not, that *TOTALLY* eliminated the "whoosh" of air coming out of the blower...

this is the carbon filter im using at the moment... i just took the carbon layer off of the filter element that im using for the intake. this *was* the "carbon curtain" that i was using inside the box over the area where the blower intakes are, but instead now ive cut it in half, folded it loosely, and stuffed it into the exhaust duct. with the "bag of rocks" and a couple of gel deodorizers, the smell is GONE (for now!! is LIFESAVER a stinky strain?? :))

this is my SOG tub... i might VEG this a bit more...

thick layer of perlite to ensure good drainage...

this is the bag-o-rocks deodorizer i found at home depot....... seems to work!???

thats all for now!! :)

sogman

Cool! I really like ur thinking bro, very good concept. There's alot of lumens concentrated in there so no issues.

DWC is kickass, the growth rates often astound people and non-recirculating bubbler's aren't as hard to maintain as people make them out to be.
So you should give one a go, there's gonna be so much aeration.
Much better than soil and deliver's the nutrients faster than crack cocaine.

IMO of course. Good stuff dude.

thescissors

ive been trying both lights and the issue im finding is my SOIL temp is SKYROCKETING!! i cut it off when the soil hit 105degF in my sogTUB....... on the surface. i use a non-contact thermometer for such things. :) is that too hot? thats after maybe 15-20 mins with both 400w HPSes running...

Latest posts

Latest posts