What's new

400w closet scrog project

russia

Hi all,

Im pretty new here and have recently found new space to start a new grow room. The space is 3ft x 3ft x 4ft high and is situated in a larger closet which also houses my bolier (as you can see from the pics below)

I've got a 400w lowbay that I am coverting to a remote ballast cool tube set up with MH for veg and HPS for flower. check out the hurricane lamp I got off ebay, I got it for £3. Its got a 5" opening and exit and is about 16" long.

Once I have converted the lowbay, Im thinking of putting the ballast in the loft directly above the closet to get rid of the heat. Hopefully the boiler wont boost temps to much, but I will just have to wait and see.

I have already painted the grow area bright white and am now trying to work out how to wire my thermostat into my fan and speed controller setup (pics below)

The first pic is of my thermostat and the second is of its ratings. The third picture is of my vortice CA100 fan (250m3/150cfm). I'm thinking this can be ducted to my cooltube whilst venting the grow through its passive opening.

The next picture is of my sweep speed controller (another ebay bargain) that is wired to my fan. The last two show how this is wired.

Does anyone know, or can draw me a diagram, of how to wire the thermostat in with the fan and controller, so that as soon as the room exceeds the set temp the speed controller will be by passed and the fan will kick in full whack. This would be a great help, cos Im fucked if I know how to do it!

Space is a bit tight being only 4 foot high, but I think if I scrogg all will be fine. Once i get the diy cooltube sorted it should bring the light down closer to the plants by about a foot and reduce temp by a few degrees to boot.

I am also going to use a wick system(I grow in soil) as a kind of passive self watering system so the plants can feed when they want. does anyone have any experience with these systems??? are they any good??? how big should the air pump be to bubble two 30 litre troughs.

so in terms of space thats about 6 inches for the troughs then another 10 inches for my pots, then another 10 inches from plants to screen, then allowing another 10" for the buds (optimistic) and another 12" to the cooltube
= 4ft
I will update this thread with progress every day or so until the grow room is finished. Any ideas on what I can add or change and general advice will be appreciated and well received. hope you all enjoy the thread.

Ps. I have some chronic from serious seeds and some pure nevilles haze from females seeds Xline to experiment with in the scrog.

Thanks for reading

Russia

Last edited:

Sauce

I believe there are red and blue wires to wire to a thermostat. The directions should say which wires to use and how to set it up. Sorry I can't really help you too much on electrical info.

I made a cool tube with the same type of glass you have and I can put my plants right next to it as long as the buds don't directly touch the glass it's fine. I'm using a 250w hps.

I have no experience with a wick system and know they work fine but personally I would just go with DWC/SWC over a wick setup. With the wick system you will have the same supplies to build a DWC system and it's just less prone to problems.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the grow.

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
im gonna PM you a link... the instructions i have are for a honeywell t6306b stat but any cooling stat or stat than can be wired up eiother way will do. im gonna be doing the exact same thing myself for my RVK150L1 680M3/hour fan.....

russia

Ive also recieved my 16 amp heat resistant cable and glands yesterday so I can get on with the remote ballast conversion.

russia

Ive also found a site that sells insulated ducting by the meter for £4 which I thought was pretty cheap.

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
yeah thatis cheap...the shop over here that has it its 7:50 a metre, and thats only for 5 inch...i feel for the poor fuckers with 12 inch fans lol

Oh yeah....dont forget to do the cutting somewhere where sparks aint gonna be a problem...doing it in a cluttered shed full of flamable products and straw(bedding for rabbits) like my uncle did when cutting mine aint the best idea....
If ur low bay is like mine, you should probably be able to use the existing holes for fit the cable glands...they should be the right size....

Last edited:

russia

In that tutorial it says to connect a live, neutral and earth to the thermostat, which is fine, but my thermostat looks like this

It has a terminal for live and neutral and a terminal with a cooling symbol that I think needs connecting to either the live or neutral aswell. any ideas???