What's new

How the Moon Affects Germination......by Mel Thomas

guineapig

Veteran
How the Moon Affects Germination (Mel Thomas author, "Weed World" issue #54, p. 109)

Cannabis seeds will germinate at any time of the year provided you supply them with the correct environmental conditions. However, planting according to the phases of the moon is a tradition that goes back centuries yet is based on scientific fact. The moon has four phases or quarters that last seven days each. The first two quarters are during the waxing (increasing light), between the New and the Full moon. The third and fourth quarters are after the full moon when the light is waning (decreasing light).

The Earth is in a large gravitational field, influenced by both the sun and moon. The ocean tides are highest at the time of the New and the Full moon, when the sun and moon are aligned with the Earth. In the same way that the moon pulls the tides, it also pulls water in the soil, causing moisture to rise and encouraging plant germination and growth. The highest amount of moisture is available at the time of the Full moon and seed germination is improved, producing stronger, more vigorous plants.

(atrocious grammar and sentence structure has been repaired.....)

anyone got a good article on moon-phases and harvesting, for example? -gp

S

stretchpuppy

The moon has four phases or quarters that last seven days each. The first two quarters are during the waxing (increasing light), between the New and the Full moon. The third and fourth quarters are after the full moon when the light is waning (decreasing light).

The ocean tides are highest at the time of the New and the Full moon, when the sun and moon are aligned with the Earth. In the same way that the moon pulls the tides, it also pulls water in the soil, causing moisture to rise and encouraging plant germination and growth. The highest amount of moisture is available at the time of the Full moon and seed germination is improved, producing stronger, more vigorous plants.

So when are these times for the end of 05, and 06? How would someone go about finding out? :)

G

Full Beaver Moon Was On Nov. 15th..

Full Beaver Moon Was On Nov. 15th..

stretchpuppy, GO BUY AN ALMANAC!!! LMAO

www.farmersalmanac.com has some info but really it's just a site to buy alamanacs from them... The alamanac has a lot of useless or debateable info inside it so take most things with a grain of salt, the moons tho, are based on science

good post GP
:fsu: ey?
cj

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Another way to find out the state of the moon is to look out of the window at night lol.

S

stretchpuppy

hehe thanks. I should have been more specific. Does anyone here take these phases into consideration with grows?

Last edited:

Veda Beta

I read that a well known breeder harvests with the moon, cant recall the name tho, and dont wanna mispost...

-V.B

guineapig

Veteran
Gardening by the Moon's Sign:

For planting, the most fertile Moon signs are the three water signs: Cancer, Scorio and Pisces. Good Second choices are Taurus, Virgo, and Capricorn. Weeding and plowing are best done when the Moon occupies Aries, Gemini, Leo, Sagittarius, or Aquarius. Insect pests are also most easily eradicated at these times. Transplanting and grafting are best done under a Cancer, Scorpio, or Pisces Moon.
Pruning is best done under an Aries, Leo, or Sagittarius Moon, with growth encouraged during waxing (from the day of new to the day of the full Moon) and discouraged during waning (from the day after full to the day before the New Moon). For the dates of the Moon phases, see pages 96-112.
Clean out the garden shed when the Moon occupies Virgo. Build or repair fences and permanent garden beds when Capricorn predominates.

Outdoor Planting Tables

The best time to plant flowers and vegetables that bear crops above ground is during the light of the Moon; that is, from the day the Moon is new to the day it is full.

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
but if the astological stuff isnt ur bag just find out the plain info on the phases..... no need to complicate things firther eh by wanting ppl to learn a whole other lot of shit lol. (the word shit is used commonly by me in place of thing,stuff, and various nouns....it is not intended as me saying astologocal stuff is a lot of shit) cant have the hippies wanting to string me up can i

guineapig

Veteran
oh no i totally agree harry......this astrological stuff isn't my bag whatsoever......but i am often suprised when i get private messages from some people who are really thankful for information which i personally find completely useless.......so that's why i put it out here.......just because i type up the info in no way means i endorse it......i just follow IMB's example.....

i think the mayans had a calendar that had different planting rituals for each DAY in their 365 day calendar! -gp

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
lol.... no worries mate...and I dont think u will go far wrong following boggleds lead as ive learnt a hell of a lot from some of the things hes put up.
I read my horoscope in the paper.... Still waiting for that charismatic stranger i was promised last week hahaha

Latest posts

Latest posts