What's new

To the state of Michigan

danut

Sent to the Michigan Department of Community Health:

There is a young lady who is in the hospital at this very moment.
She has MRSA. The doctors have given her a 20% chance of survival.

I am a patient. I have an extract of marijuana, for my own use, that I believe can save her life.

Questions:

If her doctor says it is OK to try to keep her alive with this medicine:

1. Do we have to wait until her ID card arrives? If the answer is "yes she has to wait" she will die.

2. Can I, as a patient, provide the medicine to her to keep her alive? If the answer is "no" she will die.

Is it legal to help someone to stay alive in Michigan?

I'm guessing that she will die before you can even answer this e-mail.

danut

Six months ago I submitted to them a proposed medical condition to add to their list:

Any condition where the patient is in the hospital

They thought it was funny.

bobco

MDCH is not the place to seek answers, they can't even agree on aspects of the law and likely will not provide a good response to your question..They can't even gets cards out in the mandated 20 days.
I'm by no means an expert on this law but am familiar with aspects of it. Hope some of these answers help..Have you gone the the michigan medical marijuana web site??.. You can create and account, don't have to join and post this question there, you'll likely get a lot of answers to these questions and any others..

Do we have to wait until her ID card arrives? If the answer is "yes she has to wait" she will die.
Once a doctor had signed a recommendation one would fall under the affirmative defense clause of the law while waiting on the card. So in your case and in my opinion you do not have to wait but the decision is up to you as with out a card one can still be arrested and prosecuted but likely will get thrown out of court. With the card in theory is to protect one from arrest

Can I, as a patient, provide the medicine to her to keep her alive? If the answer is "no" she will die.
Legally No but you can be a designated caregiver and in that respect you would be able to provide meds.

The last question is a hard one to answer hopefully there will be some clarification after the Freedom March which is designed to get AG Cox to address certain aspects of the law....

It breaks my heart to have to tell a cancer patient that needs this medicine yesterday that they will have to wait about 30-45 days before they can obtain it through a caregiver legally.

I dont see the big deal if I forget and leave a box of cookies or a box of home made candy at the bedside of a person dying in the hospital.

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
they do not have to wait till the ID comes. the first cases have already been decided where a person had a doctor recommendation, but the cards weren't even issued yet. they were arrested for growing, within the limit of the MMJ laws. the judge threw the case out. in michigan a dr. note is sufficient until an ID is obtained.

danut

they do not have to wait till the ID comes. the first cases have already been decided where a person had a doctor recommendation, but the cards weren't even issued yet. they were arrested for growing, within the limit of the MMJ laws. the judge threw the case out. in michigan a dr. note is sufficient until an ID is obtained.
I agree. It's a matter of getting the MDCH to admit that there is a section of the law that they have nothing at all to do with.

I attended the symposium in Detroit yesterday. I was able to confront someone from the MDCH directly with these questions.

The answer I got was "I have to say that the action would be against the law. But on a personal level, please help her stay alive."

An attorney walked up and told me to contact him ASAP if I run into problems.

Someone advised I could become a caregiver for the person. I have the additional complication of having a felony conviction on my record:

growing marijuana in excess of 50 plants.

M

Marywanna

Once you submit(mail) your paperwork and approval to the state,if you do not get a refusal notice within 20 days,you are approved. Document everything,including when you mailed it. Waiting time has gotten longer since so many people have applied. The state of the economy is so bad in Michigan that they only have 2 people working for the MMJ program.I'm sure they don't consider it very important.SCREW GRANHOLM. Just remember WHO is not supporting the new law,and VOTE their asses out,including Carl Levin.March on Lansing on 10-7.

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
I agree. It's a matter of getting the MDCH to admit that there is a section of the law that they have nothing at all to do with.

I attended the symposium in Detroit yesterday. I was able to confront someone from the MDCH directly with these questions.

The answer I got was "I have to say that the action would be against the law. But on a personal level, please help her stay alive."

Someone advised I could become a caregiver for the person. I have the additional complication of having a felony conviction on my record:

wow. it's good to hear theres someone in the government thats compassionate. I'm one of a handfull of my friends that grow and don't have a prior felony conviction. that really screws this whole MMJ thing. Half of them wouldn't have convictions if the laws were on the books for more than a year. I don't understand why a clean record is needed to be able to medicate yourself and others. good luck with your situation. I hope you can help.

I am considering changing residence to Michican as Im in the midwest and want to be a legal caregiver do you know. I have no criminal record and have never broken the law...hehe. Is it a process I can begin while in my home state? I want to help sick people but cant do so at home.

I'm glad to hear from her also Danut. I hope your friend makes it. Did ya make it to the hospital with the meds?

Lots of good people there, I'm glad I made it.

danut

Once you submit(mail) your paperwork and approval to the state,if you do not get a refusal notice within 20 days,you are approved. Document everything,including when you mailed it. Waiting time has gotten longer since so many people have applied. The state of the economy is so bad in Michigan that they only have 2 people working for the MMJ program.I'm sure they don't consider it very important.SCREW GRANHOLM. Just remember WHO is not supporting the new law,and VOTE their asses out,including Carl Levin.March on Lansing on 10-7.
I guess you missed one point.

This person isn't likely to live one week without something that will kill MRSA.

Cannabinoids kill MRSA.

If she has to wait, she will die.

danut

I'm glad to hear from her also Danut. I hope your friend makes it. Did ya make it to the hospital with the meds?

Lots of good people there, I'm glad I made it.
The person that made the post, over at the MMMA site, has not contacted me.

No idea why.

We were asked to pray for her. Now I wonder "pray for exactly what?"

Owl Mirror

Veteran
I guess you missed one point.

This person isn't likely to live one week without something that will kill MRSA.

Cannabinoids kill MRSA.

If she has to wait, she will die.

I'm assuming your question is hypothetical and, you do not actually have a friend
which is in this situation, right?
Cannabinoids kill MRSA

Can you present the factual evidence of this claim?
I believe the medical community should be made aware of this finding.

Owl Mirror

Veteran
Chemicals in Marijuana May Fight MRSA
Symptoms often include skin infections, such as boils.
MRSA can become serious, particularly for people who are weak or ill.

The authors write: “Although the use of cannabinoids as systemic antibacterial agents awaits rigorous clinical trials and an assessment of the extent of their inactivation by serum, their topical application to reduce skin colorization by MRSA seems promising.”

danut

The years of waiting, for the FDA to bless this, is counted in human lives.

No this is not a hypothetical situation.

This is a very real person who has just been notified that she is going to lose her legs and probably both of her hands as well.

Owl Mirror

Veteran
Good .. when can we start the trials?

According to the CDC, MRSA will kill more people this year than AIDS.

And as you know, I work with both internal and external applications.

I am all for research and applicability of Marijuana and it's components for medicinal purposes yet, I believe many people have offered information which is not backed up with facts. I believe that practice does in fact, harm the movement.
I read that you do not actually know this person but, read a posting of it on MMMA.
How do you know it is factual and not hypothetical ?
There are many (especially @ MMMA) who promote hyperbole in their rhetoric regarding medical marijuana.
I suggest researching the actual facts surrounding any claim before promoting it as fact. Especially to the state officials since, doing so with wrong information only serves to discredit the movement.

Another such case is: Rick Simpson and his claim of curing cancer with Hemp Oil
Certainly anyone in that situation would love to be cured yet, in all the time this claim has been out there, I can not find one individual who actually proved this method works.
Where are the medical records and witnesses of this curing patients?