What's new

HPS ballast for MH bulb???

EZlistener

not sure if i've got this the right way round, can i put my mh bulb with my hps ballast, both 400w or is it other way round
read it somewhere

pontiac

Pass That S**t!
Veteran
Your ballast must be a "switchable ballast" or your bulb must be a "conversion bulb" (for example, a mh conversion bulb will work on a regular hps ballast of equal wattage, but will not work on a MH ballast). Other wise, you cant use a regular mh bulb on a regular hps ballast and vise versa.

Last edited:

MTF-Sandman

OG Refugee
Veteran
Actually a HPS ballast will fire a MH bulb safely...the problem is that the ignitor will shorten the life of the MH bulb since it's not designed for that surge of electricity. If you're using it 24/7 this becomes a mute point since it's only started 1 time.

G

MTF-Sandman said:
Actually a HPS ballast will fire a MH bulb safely...the problem is that the ignitor will shorten the life of the MH bulb since it's not designed for that surge of electricity. If you're using it 24/7 this becomes a mute point since it's only started 1 time.

MTF, it is answers like this that have helped me and, I'm sure, others so much. You, sir(?), are a credit to ICMag. Please continue.

Y

yamaha_1fan

If you have a HPS ballast laying around and want to use it for MH bulbs, could you disable the ignitor?

Y

yamaha_1fan

I thought the MH didnt need an ignitor. MH ballast kits dont include an ignitor

I think you're on to something yamaha, cuz doesn't a switchable HPS ballast just take the ignitor out of the circuit to run the MH?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts