What's new

EBB N FLOW WITH SOIL?

A

AVALANCHBUD

Can one use an ebb n flow to water organic pots with water?Anyone ever tried?I love organic but hate to hand water row and rows of pots.Any suggestions?

hogwild

yeah you can convert ebb and flow trays to water established plants, i would also have top feed though, meaning the ebb and flow would be more like a drainage setup.

Yea I second a drip system. Gravity fed drips can be nice too and very cheap, just depends on your plans. Ebb and flow would wind up just using up more space and costing more money in my opinion

K

kokua

wags link is good. Keep in mind mrwags is using ready gro...and organic based medium that is similiar in consistency to perlite. Ready gro makes different formulas..water retaining and water repelling. One you have to water 4+ times per day...the other just one or two times.

You can also use a media called light warrior...its made by FoxFarm a real popular line with the organic crowd. You can ask around, but I believe you irrigate the Light Warrior 3+ times per day.

Pro-mix is another one...and if mixed 50-50 with perlite you would irrigate 1+ time per day...

All would be good mediums for and organic ebb n flow. :)

If your heart isn't already set on something else...I would look into the Pure Blend Pro line of nutrients. They are killer! Budswell liquid is a great addition to that line. Trust me that mix is a real winner!

K

kokua

drip would be fine too I suppose...but the man asked about ebb n flow. :confused: Drip is ok...I am a fan of simplicity, and it doesn't get much easier than ebb n flow. Does it wags?

chosen

Veteran
I don't see why not. You can easily go with organic nutes in an ebb&flow.I've gone soiless media with a compost tea before.

OsWiZzLe

I did it with great results...i used Botanicare's Aeration mix ...i would water them 4 times a day with no problems

If you mean put potted plants in a tray, and set a timer to flood the tray whenever, than yeah....it's basically an easier way to water your plants

Like Kokua said above about the different types of mediums...flood times will depend on the medium.

RUSH

TokeD

Rush has the idea for a soil feeding with pots sitting inside a flood table, the idea behind soil is to retain the moisture as well as the nutrients ethire chemically or organics mixed inside the soil, the idea that flooding the table like an ebb and flo would most likley over water your plants.if you flipped a switch at any given moment to flood the table with pots of soil sitting inside the table you could water all plants with a flick of a switch, the only drawback would be soil coming out of the drain holes in the pot.

clowntown

Veteran
One thing I don't like about E/F (I know he asked about E/F...) is that it takes a large amount of water on a decent sized table to flood to a decent height.

TokenBlackGuy

clowntown, but since he is using soil, he wouldnt need to flood to a certain height just a certain amount.. he would be bottom watering..
Im still debating on something like this for the MSM mix.. I have been getting lazier from not having to mix nutes all the time..

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Fellas this has been all done b4

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=7700

Sorry to beat a dead horse but your answers lie within the thread.

Flooding with soil is done less compared with balls but the advantages of having the new oxygen pushed up and the sucked into the roots as the flood rises and lowers is a good way to feed you lady's.

Mr.Wags

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
TokeD said:
Rush has the idea for a soil feeding with pots sitting inside a flood table, the idea behind soil is to retain the moisture as well as the nutrients ethire chemically or organics mixed inside the soil, the idea that flooding the table like an ebb and flo would most likley over water your plants.if you flipped a switch at any given moment to flood the table with pots of soil sitting inside the table you could water all plants with a flick of a switch, the only drawback would be soil coming out of the drain holes in the pot.

EXACTLY:

Imagine hand watering 30+ cups of weeds and then imagine hitting a switch to do the same thing. veg in soil Ebb and Flow:

Then move them from the cups to the buckets in Balls of hydroton and once again Ebb and Flow.

Hope It Helps

Mr.Wags