What's new

How do you store your herb LONG term?

F

FunkDoctor

what is everyone's preferred method? Looking for something for a 2-3 year storage, with nugs taken out occasionally to smoke...

I have heard a few different ways. I always at least jar cure them for 6 months and usually just keep smoking out of the jar for up to a year.

should I be putting it in the freezer any sooner? I would think 6 months would be a minimum cure

after a 6 month cure, is it ok to put in the freezer in mason jars (herb dried and cured)?

or

refrigerator and take out buds as necessary?

I have heard of people dropping a chunk of dry ice into the bag and putting in refrigerator. whether dry ice is inert or not, I don't want to be putting a chunk of it in with my buds. (saw this method mentioned in new CC mag)

suggestions please

B

BigTex

I've got a vacuum sealer that does bags and mason jars. I like the quart size mason jars best. The jars have such a good vacuum that you can't pull the lid off with your hand. I got the vacuum sealer at walmart. It has an attachment that screws onto the jars. For real long term storage I'd suggest putting those jars in a good deep freeze. I've kept herb over 1.5 years that way and it always came out in the same condition it was when I put it in there. It'll dry out if you don't seal those jars good! that's my 2 cents.

F

FunkDoctor

thanks

will look into jar sealers and a deep freeze

I have no had luck with vaccuum sealers you buy at the store. they work, but air slowly seeps back in. maybe it's just a cheap vaccuum sealer, the kind in the food section

good to know that I should vacuum seal the jars and not just put them in the freezer. I have noticed as mason jars get older they loose their seal

thanks again

Lucky 7

I use a good quality vacuum sealer and then freeze in a real freezer, no the fridge type. If I get too much in the house, I'll hide it somewhere outdoors in the winter. :)

MrMcBean

omg who hasnt had this problem.. storing herb over long periods of time can be a b!tch for so many reasons.. :D

S

sparkjumper

I've never had any problem using half gallon ball mason jars for a year or better,dont think I've gone longer than that lol.Once your buds are moisture free a big mason jar packed loose is always my best way.Using 1/2 gal jars you can pack real loosely too

F

FunkDoctor

great ideas

will look into an impulse sealer

the Ball mason jars I have now seem to have a pretty tight seal. whenever I reach for herb from my jar it always takes a little extra something to get lid off as it's air tight

thanks again

Latest posts

Latest posts