What's new

OUTDOOR GROWS 2024 ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE-

mountainoutlaw

PRESERVING SEED

What's everyone's take on preservation of their outdoor seed. I have mine in the little dry tubes, but will putting them in dry freezer or something keep them viable longer? How's everyone store their seed?

PRESERVING SEED

What's everyone's take on preservation of their outdoor seed. I have mine in the little dry tubes, but will putting them in dry freezer or something keep them viable longer? How's everyone store their seed?

Seed is left in packaging, put in Tupperware glass containers which is then put in a dark green garbage bag and stored in a vegetable crisper in the fridge. Seeds are only around 4 years old and popping easily.

Janborrego

Premium user
420club
PRESERVING SEED

My dried seeds are kept in zip lock bags in the fridge. They are in vials or small containers marked then separated by photo Auto or Fems. Then I can find what I am looking for. I have seeds from 2016 I just popped. 3 out of 5 popped .

therevverend

Veteran
Typical spring weather in the PNW. One day it's sunny and warm, then it's cool and wet for 3 days. A few of the plants have been oversaturated by wet but they're all growing fast now that there's 70 degree F days mixed in with the cool wet ones.

These are old pictures, from a couple weeks back, when I was struggling to upload them. I'll have some more recent pictures soon. Here's a purple Sprite. It's got it's own whole deep in the ground, at least twice the size as it looks in this picture.

20240517_154508 1.jpg

Here's a Chimtal hashplant from northern Afghanistan.

20240517_155504.jpg

A (Sunshine daydream x 5g blue) X Purple Bomb
20240517_154326 1.jpg

Already getting fantastic smells from quite a few of these. These progressed quite a bit beyond where they are in these pictures. Some are in the ground, others are in bigger pots. They've far outgrown the small square ones.

Attachments

• 20240517_154610 3.jpg
    20240517_154610 3.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

therevverend

Veteran
Took a couple of photos today, to show the progress in growth. All my plants are started and grown entirely under sunlight. My growing situation is a little tumultuous this year, not going to be able to grow as many as I normally do at my usual spot. I started two weeks later than normal so they're a little behind. They're catching up fast.

Some of these strains are getting complicated, it's getting hard to write out all the names. I could make up new names for them but until I grow them out and see what they do it's hard to name them something appropriate.

This is my biggest plant, has been from day 1. Well, 2nd biggest because a friend gifted me one that's taller and lankier. It's (Hindu Purple Kush x M10 Afghan #1) X (Buddha's sister x Super Silver Haze). The first pic was taken on May 6th, the 2nd is how it looks today May 31st. So 3 weeks 4 days. The amount of growth in May is incredible.

20240506_122821.jpg

20240531_164402.jpg

The next is a Jah Gooey Fruity. Can't wait to see how it does. I have a couple going in eastern Washington, on the warm side of the state, as well.

20240506_122812.jpg

20240531_164516.jpg

The seeds for this strain came from nuggynic. Just checked out his website; he's got a crazy amount of strains. Looks like you can also get them at Great Lakes Genetics, one of the best places to buy seeds.

It's apples and bananas X Jah Goo. I had a female last year that was excellent, turned purple, had a great smell and strong mold resistance in a bad year. Nic is another big plant guy, grows 10 lb giants. Even though I'm quite lucky to get a 1lb plant I gravitate towards the big plants because they tend to be vigorous and potent.

Old Piney

PRESERVING SEED
It's my understanding that seeds stored for less then ten years are best stored in the fridge in a air tight container. For seeds stored longer you might consider freezing them you ,will lose a percentage and you have to be careful moving them while frozen.The embryo is easily damaged then .I had a bunch of seeds frozen from 1993 to 2014 with about 50 percent germination. I used a Tupperware container with the seeds in paper packs and a silica pack inside

mountainoutlaw

It's my understanding that seeds stored for less then ten years are best stored in the fridge in a air tight container. For seeds stored longer you might consider freezing them you ,will lose a percentage and you have to be careful moving them while frozen.The embryo is easily damaged then .I had a bunch of seeds frozen from 1993 to 2014 with about 50 percent germination. I used a Tupperware container with the seeds in paper packs and a silica pack inside
Noted and appreciated.