What's new

Gender dysphoria and the trans movement.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
lmao judging my cooking based on what queer people do in hotel rooms during the festival where pedophile heroes of the rainbow movement hold opening speeches sound kind of predjudiced. no worries though,

I bring good tidings that horse paste comes with apple flavor.
View attachment 19011540
hahah do you have horses? they like apples
or do you just like apple flavored shit?
/i have a hook up for apple flavored horse shit

im not the one talking about defacing others property with your feces man, you were
/just keeping it real here, but i get it man
and it wasnt queers smearing poo, it was you
/stay cool man and just post up a tamale or whatever it is you like to eat

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
The fruit processors often freeze or can those fruits that are too ripe to effectively make it to market, so many of the frozen or canned commercial fruits in the store are already at peak ripeness when they're canned or frozen. The trick is to get those that are not treated with sulfites, etc. Which none of these were (treated).

They were awesome peaches and strawberries, by the way. The wild blueberries are sweeter than the average wild Alaska blueberry, but they're still good, even if they don't have quite the level of antioxidants that the Alaska wild blueberries do.

I'm supposed to be headed to Chitina with my daughter to dipnet the Copper River reds/sockeye and one king on a personal use permit, pop.

The current formula for allowable catch is 25 fish for the head of household or permit holder, and 10 more fish for each additional household member, so my wife and I can keep 35 salmon now that our kids are all grown and gone, including the one king if the kings aren't shut down for dismal return numbers. My daughter and I haven't done that fishery together in many years.

Lots more oil and Omega-3's in those fish than in the Kenai River sockeye, which we also used to dipnet, but which I haven't harvested in years for specific reasons. That was back in the days when (with 5 of us here) we used to get well over 100 salmon between the two rivers.

But likely sometime right before that, the second week of July, we have a date for halibut, rockfish and ling cod out on the salt water in the Gulf of Alaska.

I'm a bit worried about my hip(s) at this point, as my lower spine is crumbly again after about 6 years since a triple laminectomy, and an epidural before this last, most recent solo ice fishing trip into the bush in the Wrangell-St. Elias Range in later March, early April, and the hips and lumbar are lighting up pretty good when I go clearing brush with the chainsaw or the brush cutter again, telling me my spinal cord is unhappy and has no "room to move" (to use a John Mayall lyric).

Thoracic spine is giving me shit when I work in the woods too long and hard as well, but that's a whole 'nother type of discomfort or pain. And with that, the neck and shoulders get aggravated due to cervical spine damage. Pretty much the whole spinal column is yelling at me anymore when I do necessary stuff around the place that requires some physical exertion.

I've got to take the older vintage Troybilt Horse rototiller out to the potato field this weekend to get that tilled, fertilized, hilled, and planted. Another preparatory or 'test' moment to see if pulling a 100+-lb. fish up from the bottom of the sea is going to paralyze me or not. :)

you take it easy on that yard work man and take care of that back
i know it needs to get done, but you are going dip fishing?! with your daughter
i guess thats using a hand net to scoop a fish out of the water?
/would i be overdressed in my wetsuit and flippers with my hawaiian sling; SOOOnNKK fish on
if you catch a 100# fish i own you a beer my friend!

Hiddenjems

I love fish, but I worry about heavy metal and chemical contamination. We used to eat hundreds of walleye from Minnesota lakes every year.

I still eat fish, but sadly it’s not a weekly diet item anymore.

moose eater

I love fish, but I worry about heavy metal and chemical contamination. We used to eat hundreds of walleye from Minnesota lakes every year.

I still eat fish, but sadly it’s not a weekly diet item anymore.
Limiting intake of fish is one way to manage intake of heavy metals, but looking at the life cycle of fish and how long they're growing in any body of water is another key; the longer they take to mature or the longer they live in a body of water, the more (typically atmospheric-sourced) heavy metals they're apt to possess.

Salmon are pretty much a 2–3-year life cycle, they leave the spawning grounds or hatchery and depending on species, don't return for 2-3 years, then they swim upstream, have an orgy and die. Shorter life cycle and typically very good omega-3s.

Most people love halibut, but the more mature halibut might take -many- years to mature. Same for lake trout.

We've caught trophy lakers that were probably 35 to 45 years old. That's a long time to be bathing in water with heavy metals in it.

If you go into the southern access to the Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve, along the Nabesna Rd., where we do our annual ice fishing back in the bush a good way, and look at some of the trail signage there, you can be in what appears to be pristine wild country and find signs telling you how often it's safe to eat the fish.

And after Fukushima's nuclear fiasco, there were literally measurable increases in Cesium-37 along the Alaska Coastline. And the Bering Sea and North Pacific are HUGE bodies of water, so dilution is not always the solution to pollution.... anymore..

moose eater

you take it easy on that yard work man and take care of that back
i know it needs to get done, but you are going dip fishing?! with your daughter
i guess thats using a hand net to scoop a fish out of the water?
/would i be overdressed in my wetsuit and flippers with my hawaiian sling; SOOOnNKK fish on
if you catch a 100# fish i own you a beer my friend!
12-ft. to 20-ft. handle with D-rings on a 3.5 to 5 ft diameter landing-type net, ideally with the base of the handle where it meets the net hoop tied off with paracord to a tree limb or rock in or near a back-eddy, so the fish take a break in the back-eddy when the current reverses itself due to objects on the shore or bays/inlets, and that way the reversed current helps to keep your net pocket open upstream, and the fish swim in.

We used to catch as many as 2-4 salmon in a single dip back in days of less pressure when the run was really good and can still sometimes catch a couple in a dip.

The whole affair down there has changed in the last 30-some years.

But I just looked at the Miles Lake Sonar, and things are looking alarming, seriously, as far as the returns this year. I just posted a link elsewhere, but I'm really hoping this is simply a later start on the run. We have had a bit of consistently cool weather here, so... who knows?

1717285235618.png

1717285337074.png

The water moves pretty fast through the canyon, and it's more than a good idea to wear a GOOD flotation device and to tie both yourself and your net off with good rope to a solid anchor point. Folks can die there in a heartbeat and numerous people have gone in, to never be found again.

But it's a good time. Just keep your balance and wits about you.

1717285537486.png

Latest posts

Latest posts