What's new

Any bowyers?

hfm

Nice bow. Do you also make your own bow strings?
Thank you :) No not yet.I've made twisted reatas but never small cordage.
Nice looking starts! Kinda seems like this could get addictive. Lets hope its not a gateway to anything besides a full freezer ;)

Timj

The twisted reatas sound cool. I made this jig. It helps by making all 7 strings of each group a 1/2 inch smaller so your tapers look better. I make a 14 thread bow string.
How's your oak bow shoot?
20240526_205057.jpg

hfm

Craterellus fallax and Cantharellus cibarius
are just starting here :) we'll get lateritius a week or so later.
1000018971.jpg

Timj

Craterellus fallax and Cantharellus cibarius
are just starting here :) we'll get lateritius a week or so later.
View attachment 19009368
Nice score with the mushroom find. I wouldn't pick any as I know there are similar mushrooms that can poison us. I just noticed these in my flower bed. They are a big as my hand and there are several of them.

Attachments

• 20240527_170222.jpg
    20240527_170222.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5

hfm

Nice score with the mushroom find. I wouldn't pick any as I know there are similar mushrooms that can poison us. I just noticed these in my flower bed. They are a big as my hand and there are several of them.
If you pick and take pictures we might be able to identify them.You need clear pictures of the gills and stipe.Depending where in the world you are would help,just northern or southern hemisphere and continent.If you dont care though its cool :)

I forgot to post a picture of the Flemish twist bow strings I make. View attachment 19009390
Dude your strings look great to me,I will use your string board design.Thank you for sharing that :)

xtsho

This is a cool thread. I cut the top of a large a Pacific Yew at my mothers property a year or so ago and have several pieces that are long enough to make a bow. These are straight pieces around 6 ft long and 6-8 in in diameter I think.

Looks like I have another project to get started with. I'll likely be asking questions in this thread as I've never mad a bow.

hfm

This is a cool thread. I cut the top of a large a Pacific Yew at my mothers property a year or so ago and have several pieces that are long enough to make a bow. These are straight pieces around 6 ft long and 6-8 in in diameter I think.

Looks like I have another project to get started with. I'll likely be asking questions in this thread as I've never mad a bow.
Thats so rad! Its beautiful wood :)
I'm interested to see and hear about your adventures.

Latest posts

Latest posts