What's new

Kali China and Applenaught indoor soil

gedLang

This is my first grow log here and only my second grow. Mostly I'm excited to try out Kali China, so I've started two seeds and have two five gallon fabric pots set up to receive them. I have to do some traveling in mid-August, so I'm looking to finish these up by then; as a result I plan on doing a 2 week veg before flipping. With a short veg I expect to have some extra space in the 2x4 tent, so I also started a freebie seed from Multiverse to put in a 3 gallon pot as well - Applenaught. There's little to no info on this strain - the description says "Dirty Sanchez x Wedding Cake" but offers no advice on the length of flowering or anything. I'm assuming it will come out as an unremarkable American hybrid thing.

IMG20240518110900.jpg

The seeds were soaked for 12 hours and put into small pots and have poked up after five days. I'm keeping the tent at around 70 F, 60% humidity for this phase, with lights on a low setting. Surprisingly one pot has two sprouts in it - a rare double?
IMG20240518110916.jpg

By the looks of it I'm guessing that I just screwed up and accidentally put both seeds in the same pot. We'll see if anything comes up in the remaining pot and proves me wrong.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
This is my first grow log here and only my second grow. Mostly I'm excited to try out Kali China, so I've started two seeds and have two five gallon fabric pots set up to receive them. I have to do some traveling in mid-August, so I'm looking to finish these up by then; as a result I plan on doing a 2 week veg before flipping. With a short veg I expect to have some extra space in the 2x4 tent, so I also started a freebie seed from Multiverse to put in a 3 gallon pot as well - Applenaught. There's little to no info on this strain - the description says "Dirty Sanchez x Wedding Cake" but offers no advice on the length of flowering or anything. I'm assuming it will come out as an unremarkable American hybrid thing.

View attachment 19004590

The seeds were soaked for 12 hours and put into small pots and have poked up after five days. I'm keeping the tent at around 70 F, 60% humidity for this phase, with lights on a low setting. Surprisingly one pot has two sprouts in it - a rare double?
View attachment 19004588

By the looks of it I'm guessing that I just screwed up and accidentally put both seeds in the same pot. We'll see if anything comes up in the remaining pot and proves me wrong.
Thanks for posting friend. I'm going to ride with you for a while. I love all of Ace's stuff.

gedLang

The seedlings made good progress over the past week, and are just starting in on their third set of leaves. They also had nice root growth, with all three putting some feelers out of the bottom of their small starter pots. The leaves of the Applenaught have longer fingers, looking more tomato-plant-like than the Kali China.

Applenaught:
IMG20240525072248.jpg

Kali China:
IMG20240525072255.jpg

I carefully separated the roots of the two Kali China seedlings and transplanted everything to their own pots.
IMG20240525073844.jpg

This is earlier than I would like to have them in their final pots, but I'm trying to cut some corners to get a harvest in time.

In my last grow I used Roots Organic basic soil and top dressed with compost and Down to Earth amendments. I found it difficult to get the balance of feeding correct; after a month the plants started to need more nutrients but it was easy to go too far and burn the tips. Top dressing had a delayed reaction of a week or two for the nutrients to get used by the plant, which made it challenging to get the amounts right. So this round I mixed in EWC at around 15-20% and also some Down to Earth Biolive. I hope it is not too hot for these little guys and that it gives more leeway in feeding.

To speed up growth as much as possible I've been keeping the VPD low and the temp/humidity high by using the exhaust fan only intermittently. It's been around 80 F during the day and 70F at night with ~70% humidity and ~.9 VPD. I'll continue that as they get established in their new pots, but will have to increase the air exchange soon.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks for choosing Kali China for your second grow and first on ICMag @gedLang :)
Glad you managed to separate both KC seedlings early on.
Feel free to tag me or pm me in case of any doubt.
Have a great grow ahead!

Artie

I carefully separated the roots of the two Kali China seedlings and transplanted everything to their own pots.
IMG20240525073844.jpg

Here is full review how I spend my free time

This is earlier than I would like to have them in their final pots, but I'm trying to cut some corners to get a harvest in time.

In my last grow I used Roots Organic basic soil and top dressed with compost and Down to Earth amendments. I found it difficult to get the balance of feeding correct; after a month the plants started to need more nutrients but it was easy to go too far and burn the tips. Top dressing had a delayed reaction of a week or two for the nutrients to get used by the plant, which made it challenging to get the amounts right. So this round I mixed in EWC at around 15-20% and also some Down to Earth Biolive. I hope it is not too hot for these little guys and that it gives more leeway in feeding.
Great! The seedlings look very healthy.

Last edited:

gedLang

Thanks to you both! The Applenaught is displaying an unusual leaf pattern:

IMG20240528072929.jpg

Instead of two leaf shoots on either side of a junction, it has a single asymmetrical leaf coming from the base of the larger leaf. If anyone knows the name of this or has experience, let me know.

gedLang

I'm dealing with a fungus gnat population in the tent right now. It's tough because I've been keeping the soil moist to promote "cooking" and biological activity after mixing in the worm castings and nutrients. Moist peat-based soil like that is very nice for gnat breeding. I know that they are not the worst pest but I also know from my previous grow that I have to start early to keep them under control.

Of all the various things I've tried to combat fungus gnats, BTI was the most effective. However, it only affects the gnat larva, not the eggs or mature adults (flyers). And in containers it tends to disappear quickly - it is effective for the first day maybe, but after that new eggs hatch and the BTI is no longer around to stop the new larva.

Anecdotally, I found that growing a BTI culture in the same fashion as a compost tea seemed to increase its effectiveness. I mix the BTI drops into a couple of gallons of water and add a tablespoon of molasses, then aerate with a pump for a day. Watering with this ferment seems much more effective to me. Because I don't want to overwater, this morning I put this ferment into a spray bottle and sprayed down the top couple inches of soil.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I'm dealing with a fungus gnat population in the tent right now. It's tough because I've been keeping the soil moist to promote "cooking" and biological activity after mixing in the worm castings and nutrients. Moist peat-based soil like that is very nice for gnat breeding. I know that they are not the worst pest but I also know from my previous grow that I have to start early to keep them under control.

Of all the various things I've tried to combat fungus gnats, BTI was the most effective. However, it only affects the gnat larva, not the eggs or mature adults (flyers). And in containers it tends to disappear quickly - it is effective for the first day maybe, but after that new eggs hatch and the BTI is no longer around to stop the new larva.

Anecdotally, I found that growing a BTI culture in the same fashion as a compost tea seemed to increase its effectiveness. I mix the BTI drops into a couple of gallons of water and add a tablespoon of molasses, then aerate with a pump for a day. Watering with this ferment seems much more effective to me. Because I don't want to overwater, this morning I put this ferment into a spray bottle and sprayed down the top couple inches of soil.
Keep yellow stickies in the garden to help catch the flying adults.

gedLang

I've got one in there but I should add a couple more, thanks!

When I first got fungus gnats, I figured I could just put some sticky traps up and call it a day. Didn't work out like that.

It's been tough keeping them in check during the start of gardening season because I always have moist soil around germinating seeds. But now that the seedlings have moved outside I've got it more under control.

gedLang

Still dealing with fungus gnats, unfortunately. I added diatomaceous earth to the tops of the soil and they are waltzing around on it like linoleum.

I think part of the problem is that this soil is still very wet. The top couple of inches is quite dry, as I've been raking it to disrupt the gnats. But the containers are still too heavy to water again, and that means I can't really do a BTI drench. I have a feeling that adding EWC has increased the moisture retention a lot. I'm considering pulling the plants out and adding additional perlite to the mix.

The growth of all three plants has slowed but continues. Kali China is looking fine:
IMG20240601065417.jpg

And Applenaught is looking weirder and weirder:
IMG20240601065445.jpg

It's growing faster than Kali China but what it's going to wind up as I have no idea.

Hoping to let these veg for another week and then flip.